Prologue

Galen

Today was the big day.

My father was passing down the title of alpha to me today and I couldn't be anymore nervous. I just turned eighteen and it was time I took over the leadership of this pack. The GoldMoon pack, not a very scary name but we don't need a scary name. We needed respect; which we didn't have.

After I become alpha I plan on making this pack the biggest and most respected pack out there.

"Galen." I heard my name from my beta and best friend, Jorge.

I smiled at him, slapping him on his back in a bro way. "Hey man."

He smirked and hugged me tightly, "you ready for today?"

I shook my head, letting out a shaky breath. "God no!" I laughed nervously.

"You'll be fine. Let's go on a patrol to relive some nerves, yeah?" He asked, already walking outside.

I followed him quickly, stripping out of my clothes before shifting into a pure black wolf. Only true alphas were all black. They were rare and I luckily was one of them. My dad sadly, was not and he had some brown in him, but I guess I had inherited the pure alpha genes.

I followed after Jorge as he trotted into the forest, running along the edge of our territory to see if we could spot anything out of the ordinary.

We ran around the edge of our territory for a while, talking through our mind link about stupid shit to keep my mind off of me becoming alpha in a few hours. It was a huge ceremony, my dad would read me the sacred rules and the duties I had to fulfill, I had to pledge with blood that I would do my duty and whatnot, and if I had my mate it was required to mate them so they would become Luna.

"Galen" Jorge said through our mind link.

"What?" I replied.

"Do you smell that? It's a rogue...he crossed enemy lines and he's at the fields. He's dangerously close to the pack house."

I took a deep breath and sure enough an unfamiliar scent drifted through the air. I was too distracted by my thoughts to detect a rogue! I growled angrily, making Jorge glance at me in worry.

I shook my head to him and started running towards the smell.

I growled again. This could not be happening today.

Rogues were wolves that didn't have any packs, they were feral and viscous. They attacked anyone that stood in their way and they had bloodlust, they always wanted to fight, and they wanted power. Power hungry wolves.

Of course one had to saunter right into my territory the day I was becoming alpha.

We quickly raced over to the fields, alerting the pack that we had a rogue in our territory and to stay inside.

My dad was already sending out warriors to help if needed.

When we reached the field their was no sign of any other wolves. Me and Jorge both were sure that the smell came from this direction!

"Galen...I swear this is where I smelled him.." Jorge whimpered, afraid he had messed up.

I stuck my nose into the air and sniffed, the smell of vanilla and honey filled my senses and it made mini me stand up straight. It was such a wonderful smell and I've never smelled something so beautiful before.

Only my mate could smell-..

I groaned and started looking around for my mate. The rouge is my mate! I screamed happily through the mind link. I'm not sure how the pack would take it since we hated rogues but they had to make an exception!