Lea-durr-ship

(Disclaimer: This story and its title is not made to target mentally disabled individuals. The term "dur" has been associated with people who have moments of lapse in thought, make silly or "stupid" mistakes, and a general pop culture reference to lack of intelligence. Please, do not use this term when referring to mentally disabled individuals. Thank you.)

The camera flickered on as James finished setting up his laptop. The bars, suitcase, and other miscellaneous items and weights were still sitting on the floor behind him, waiting to be unpacked. As per his hypnotist's instructions, he had stripped to show off the progress he had made in developing his body. They would continue their sessions, despite the work he had to do.

"Good afternoon, Jamie."

James never let anyone call him that, save for his hypnotist.

"Good afternoon, Sir."

The screen mirrored James' body as he stared into the camera.

"I see you are settling in." The screen remained dark for the other end of the call. His hypnotist preferred to work with just his voice.

"Yes, Sir. I admit that I'm a little nervous, though." James raised his arms and flexed to show off his progress. Veins snaked through his arms like roots. Apart from his head, he was perfectly smooth.

"Oh? And why is that, Jamie?"

James shuddered. "I ... I have to take charge. I've always been following other people. Doing work to hand up the chain. Now, I have to be the one to lead." He paused to swallow. Silence followed.

"And?" the voice prompted.

"I'm scared, Sir," James finally admitted.

"Flex for me, boy." It wasn't a request.

James shuddered and did as he was commanded. The screen flashed over his glasses as the camera refreshed and the lighting adjusted on his monitor.

"Follow as you flex. Follow your progress on the screen. Follow and listen to my voice as you flex deeper. Deeper and deeper..."

James shuddered again as his underwear tightened. "Yes, Sir."

"Good. Very good. So, you are afraid to lead, yes?"

"Yes." James transitioned into an archer pose.

"Good boy. It is good to acknowledge fear. it is good to understand that it exists. It is natural, just as natural as my voice in your ears, my voice guiding you down, down, down into trance. And you like that, don't you, muscleboy?"

James groaned as he transitioned to a new side pose to show off his legs and lats. "Yes, Sir."

"Such a good muscleboy."

"I am a good muscleboy."

"Again."

"I am a good muscleboy."

"Again."

"I am a good muscleboy."

"Good muscleboys listen. Good muscleboys obey. Are you ready to listen? Are you ready to obey? Are you ready to prove you are a good muscleboy?"

The room fell away. All that mattered was the voice and his body on the screen as he pitched his voice lower. "I am a good muscleboy. Ready to listen. Ready to obey."

"Good. Now listen, muscleboy. Listen deep. Listen well. Listen, and obey. Any time you are afraid, you will flex. Flexing will calm you. Flexing will give you confidence, as it gives you confidence when you flex for me. Flexing puts the fear into your muscles. Flexing clears your mind. Flexing allows you to focus. Focus on your tasks. Focus on what needs to be done. Focus on what I or your superiors tell you. And your muscles will burn that fear away just as easily as they burn calories. It is a natural process. Natural to be confident. Natural to let it go. Natural to burn it away."

The more James flexed, the more relaxed he felt. He smiled. "Yes, Sir."

"But all things that burn leave something behind, don't they? Chemicals, smoke, exhaust. Isn't that right, muscleboy?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And exhaust must be vented."

"Yes, Sir."

"You will vent that exhaust, that excess, by laughing. A simple laugh. A deep laugh. A dull laugh. Blunting your fear. Blunting your worry. Blunting, so you can think clearly and calmly. And you're feeling very calm right now, aren't you, muscleboy?"

"Yes, Sir."

"You're burning that fear and anxiety with every flex, great or small. You acknowledge that there is risk, but that risk holds no power over you to keep you from doing your job, because you are burning the fear, burning the anxiety, feeding the machine that you are to work clearly, efficiently, and well. Now, be a good muscleboy and expel that exhaust."

"Huhuhuhuh...."

"Good muscleboy," the hypnotist purred. "Again."

"Huhuhuhuh...."

"Good muscleboy. Doing just as you're programmed. So simple. So calm. So relaxed. Don't you feel silly for all that fuss now?"

"Huhuh. Yes, Sir."

"So silly. So dull. So stupid. But that's all right. There are leaders, and there are lea-durrs. Both know how to lead. Both can be intelligent and efficient. Both can be charismatic. One of them just needs a little ... encouragement sometimes. Encouragement from people like me, to help them see how silly they are to be afraid. To help them let go of that stupidity that cripples them and holds them captive at crucial points. It is nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud to acknowledge that you needed help and sought it out. Proud ... to be a lea-durr. What are you?"

"I am a good muscleboy. I am a lea-durrr. Huhuhuh. A lea-durr. Huhuhuh. A lea-durrr." He laughed and laughed and laughed as he continued to flex for his hypnotist.

"Good muscleboy. I expect a report from you as soon as you finish your first day on the job, understood? You will call me and report, muscleboy."

"Huhuh. Yes, Sir. I am a good muscleboy. Huhuh. A good muscleboy is a good lea-durr. I will lead. I will obey. Huhuhuhuh....."

"Good muscleboy. Now get that workout equipment set up. I want to watch you lift today.

James grinned. "Yes, Sir." He laughed as he got to work. A glassy look began to filter over his eyes. "I am a good muscleboy. I obey."