─ two, roger taylor, the legend

HANDS OF GOLD
act one, chapter two
.   .   .   .

GEMMA WOOD,
SEPTEMBER 1989
.   .   .   .

𝗚emma was a Queen fan. Maybe it was a Wood thing ❨ well the women in the Wood family since her mum was a muggleborn ❩ but she guessed it was okay. Especially since she had the opportunity to meet them last summer and she can proudly say she hugged Freddie and Jim, played the bass ❨ badly ❩ with John, took a mirror camera picture ❨ and that's Brian's words ❩ with Brian and Roger even kissed her ━ HER ━ on the bloody cheek. It was the best day of her life, and she's not kidding. She had went with Nymphie and Charlie, she can't go anywhere without her favorite humans, and Nymphadora had actually fainted when Brian smiled at her. Rebecca Wood had to use Aguamenti to wake the young witch up and that had obviously shocked the band ━ the exception being Roger, Gemma always knew he had to be a wizard, no man ❨ and she means it when she says no man ❩ can be that good looking and be a bloody muggle. Thus, their secret was revealed to Queen and Gemma didn't mind.

They might be ages older than her but she's sure they're kind of friends now. She had been owling Roger for a while but since they were touring in New York now, Pippa can't fly that far and it would be suicide to send Nymphadora's poor owl. However, even with a new letter from Roger Taylor, her friend, ❨ she'll never get used to calling him that ❩ her day begins with a sour mood. And it's all Bill Weasley's fault.

See, Gemma didn't know what Bill's weird infatuation with her was and she's certain she doesn't want to know. He's a pain in her ass and she'd like to remove him, completely, from her life as soon as she graduates. Merlin, she can't wait to graduate next year and tour with Queen. She doesn't have a bad singing voice and Freddie said they could groom her into a professional singer and trust Gemma when she says she'll never pass that opportunity up. Never.

"You look like you're about to commit something bad." Nymphadora whistled as she sunk beside Gemma, who matched the color of her flaming hair and it looked as though her freckles had disappeared into her skin. "Murder, particularly."

"Definitely murder." Gemma grunted in response, glaring at Bill Weasley as he stumbled upon the Gryffindor table. Beside her, she heard Nymphadora groan.

"Not again. What song is he going to sing?"

"I don't know and I frankly don't care. He should just stop embarrassing himself like this. I don't even like the prick."

As Nymphadora opened her mouth, most likely to retort, Bill cleared his throat and clapped his hands to get everyone's attention. Gemma slightly admired the way he didn't shake under all those eyes. She wouldn't be able to take it. Sure she agreed to sing with Freddie, but she'll be a back up singer, really. She's not good under the spotlight. She'll hide behind Brian or John or even behind Roger.

"Good morning to all! Professors, groundkeeper, students... Gemma." He beamed at her and Gemma rolled her eyes. "I'm going to sing, and this one, is for you my darling." Bill had the audacity to wink at her, which caught her completely off guard and she blushed. Gemma was only thankful her face had been red from rage in the beginning. "I'm in love with my car! Got a feel for my automobile! ━" Loud boo's cut Bill off and Gemma was first to burst out laughing, the second being Nymphadora.

Charlie had only walked in now, hair sticking up in all directions and he looked slightly puzzled as to what the children were booing about until his sleppy eyes landed on Bill and he groaned. Charlie supported the idea of him and Gemma, really he did, but he knew how his best friend felt towards his idiotic brother and that was only hate ━ or so she says. Charlie had seen her mouth quirk up involuntarily sometimes when Bill would trip or when he would sing Queen songs as she would fly on the pitch.

"Merlin, I don't need this today. My head's killing me." Charlie groaned, plopping beside Gemma and buried his head in the nook of her neck and Gemma chuckled, patting him on the head.

"It's been a week since you got wasted Charles, you can't still have a hangover." Nymphie snorted, shaking her head. "Stop feeling all blue," Her hair flashed different shades of blue and Gemma could see a trickle of sweat trailing down her forehead. "And eat."

Nymphadora was a Metamorphmagus, that everyone knew. But what they didn't know was that she wasn't actually that good at controlling it. She had to really focus on what she wanted to do and sometimes it was too much for her. Gemma worried for her but it's not like Nymphie would listen to her. She'll just slap on a smile and call it a day and say she's fine when she's not.

"My immune system hates me." Charlie mumbled, his breath tickling Gemma's neck and she giggled a little, though that quickly died down when Bill walked up to them. "Shoo, shoo!" Charlie groaned at his brother, who only raised a brow.

"You heard the man, shoo." Gemma said, biting down on her lip to avoid grinning madly at Bill.

"Did you like the song?" Bill asked, ignoring what they both said and his smile was so huge, so hopeful that Gemma nearly said yes. She couldn't say yes though, that would make him more annoying and she knew her friends would bug her about it to no end.

"I would've, if you didn't sound like you're dying." Gemma shrugged and for the first time since Bill started liking her, she actually felt bad when his smile fell. "Face it Bill, Roger Taylor is a fucking legend and my friend wouldn't be so happy to hear you ruining his absolute masterpiece."

Bill looked like a hole had been punched through his chest and he forced a smile at the three friends. Technically two since Charlie went back to sleep and only Gemma and Nymphadora were looking at him intently. "Oh come off it Wood, you know you liked it and that I'm way more gorgeous than Roger Taylor."

Gemma laughed, accidentally waking Charlie up. "One, I absolutely loathed it. Two, no one can be more gorgeous than Roger Taylor. He's a fucking God, he's a legend."

"Three, you two are stupid and four, my head is splitting, shut up." Charlie groaned, using his hands as a pillow and Nymphadora sighed, moving out her chair to haul Charlie up and she told Gemma that she's taking him to the Hospital Wing.

Gemma glanced at Bill. "I think he's sick, I should probably go to them."

"I'm coming with." Gemma opened her mouth to retort but Bill shook his head. "I won't annoy you or anything, I just want to make sure Charlie's alright."

Gemma bit her bottom lip. She doesn't want Bill there. She hates him, he's annoying and he will be the end of her. And she's really not being dramatic ━ AT ALL. "Fine, but one annoying peep out of you and I'm chasing you out the Hospital Wing with the sharpest thing I can get my hands on. Clear?"

"Clear as the windshield of Roger's car slash wife." He winked at her, already brushing past her to catch up with Nymphadora and Charlie.

Gemma didn't know what went wrong but something shifted in her stomach ━ stomach bug, she thought. And her cheeks flushed a light red ━ definitely the stomach bug, she told herself as she ran after Charlie and Nymphie, not Bill because she hated him. That much she knew. She had to hate him. He did stupid things to get her attention and she hated that... Yes... Hate...

.   .   .   .

an. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I love Queen and I'm not ashamed. ROGER BEING A WIZARD is something I believe okay, lemme be. NO MUGGLE CAN BE THAT GOOD LOOKING! And they're like friends *heart breaks for a fictional person and a super old but hot grandpa*
also, just for clarification, Bill is only a year older than them here, he's in his last year, just pointing that out