first day back

"This is Tyler! You've missed me..."

Kris has heard those exact words about 5 times now. Every time she calls him, it goes straight to voicemail. Where the hell is Tyler? she thought. She groaned as she slipped on her shoes and grabbed her stuff.

"Voicemail?" Her dad asked her, amused by her frustration. Yup, you read right. Her dad. A lot has changed since last summer, not only Kris' new hair,
though the blonde was a move. Kris no longer stayed at Tyler's, she now lived with her parents.

No, not her homophobic parents. They're gone for good, good riddance. No, she lives with Henry and Jason Bauer, her dads. Well, Henry is dad, Jason is Pops, but you get it.

The accident at Tower Six left her in the hospital. With all the procedures, the cost of said procedures, and the severity of her condition, her parents, yes the biological ones, were contacted. However, the daughterless family of 2 were in Prague, forgetting everything that was Kris Knight.

Because of that, CPS was then involved. She was going to put into the foster system and it scared her shitless. Thank the lord that Jason and Henry were a lovely couple living in the Valley looking to foster/adopt a teenager. They first met in the hospital, not the best setting for first impressions, but it worked out in the end.

Jason and Henry were the best parents she could've asked for. They supported her endlessly in everything, including her sexuality. Although that wasn't exactly something she worried about, judging how they're a gay couple. But yea, Kris has been really happy this past year, especially a couple months ago when Henry and Jason told her that they wanted to adopt her, changing from Kris Knight to Kris Bauer.

Kris was finally happy and at peace.

It's about damn time.

"Yes! He probably forgot all about the International Beachmaster Competition. Ugh, that boy," Kris huffed.

Henry chuckled. "I don't know how he could with all the emails his dad sent, not to mention his dad being the head of the program. He probably just turned his phone off."

On account of being Kris' best friend, Tyler has been present in all the changes in Kris' life the past year. He even went with her to the salon to dye her hair. Besides the point, that being said, Tyler has met both Jason and Henry countless times and has really grown to like the couple, not only as people but as parents for his best friend.

Jason stood up from the stool in the kitchen and walked over to the two. "Yea, sweetheart. I wouldn't stress about it," he said before planting a kiss on her forehead.

Kris sighed. "Alright. Well, I better get going. Gotta help set up and whatnot."

"Do you want a ride there?"

"No, it's cool. I'll just take my bike."

The parents exchanged looks with each other, ones that held worry. Yes, they weren't her parents, or foster parents for that matter, when she got into the accident, but they still worry as if they were. Kris had to undergo a grueling amount of physical therapy afterwards. The doctor said that she's all strong and healthy, but they still have their worries.

Kris saw the exchange and amusedly rolled her eyes. "Thank you for looking out, but I'll be fine. Plus, the extra exercise will do me good for the program and my leg."

"Okay, okay." Henry walked over and wrapped her in a hug. Kris almost immediately reciprocated. "Just be safe, please." Jason then joined in on the embrace.

"I will, I promise," Kris replied.

"We love you."

"Love you, too." Kris then grabbed her bike, opened the door, and made her way outside.