{3} New Arrivals

Paris was much louder than he had remembered

In fact, the noise was almost deafening. Children, dogs, horses- It seemed like the whole city had flooded the streets and begun to shout.

As he reached a gloved hand up to adjust his helmet, Phoebus de Chautaupers, the newly arrived Captain of the Paris Guard, grimaced and tried to take a deep breath. Loud noises came at him from every direction, almost overwhelming him, but he maintained his composure. Today would be the single most demanding day of his career, and he had to show who was the leader of the Judge's guard- Considering that he had barely met the men that he was in command of, he needed to make a grand impression on them.

Just one day earlier, the young soldier had arrived in Paris after a two week journey, his horse groaning and his legs aching. Phoebus was coming in from the western front of the war, where his tales of glory had been dramatic enough that his general had written to Judge Alarie, the foreboding chief justice of Paris. Phoebus could still remember the pride and relief that had flooded him when his commander had told him to pack his things- He was being promoted.

Thus, he had guided his horse through the streets of Paris towards the Palace of Justice as soon as he had arrived. He was to formally meet Judge Alarie and discuss his new duties immediately.

And to his surprise, the archdeacon of Notre Dame cathedral had been with the Judge, standing stoic by his side as Phoebus approached the two men in the imposing, gothic entryway of the Palace.

"Judge Alarie," Phoebus had said, trying not to let his confusion show on his face. "And... Archdeacon Frollo?"

Alarie had grabbed his hand firmly, and shook with all the might expected from someone as powerful as the judge. He was a tall, broad shouldered man with jet black hair and a gaze that could wither flowers, yet he smiled as he greeted his new captain of the guard. "Captain de Chautaupers. I'm thrilled you've arrived- We already have an assignment for you."

We?

Phoebus's brow had furrowed as his gaze fell to the floor. He had known the two city leaders were friends, but hadn't known them to be intimate ones.

And as his gaze fell downward, Phoebus noticed that even though they were standing in the main atrium of the building, a dried bloodstain graced the stones below.

"I'm... I'm sorry Judge Alarie, but I was informed that I would have three days time to settle into Paris following my arrival. I was told about training-"

"No, no, no," Alarie interrupted, chuckling lightly. "You were a captain at the front lines of the war. Why would we need you to train?"

"I've never done something like this before."

"But you were part of the guard. A low rank, sure, but after all you did on the front? I have no doubt you'll be fantastic. And you are free to settle in whenever you please, Captain. Tomorrow is a big day."