i. best part

- 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚋𝚢 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚎𝚕 𝚌𝚊𝚎𝚜𝚊𝚛 (𝚏𝚎𝚊𝚝

- 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚋𝚢 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚎𝚕 𝚌𝚊𝚎𝚜𝚊𝚛 (𝚏𝚎𝚊𝚝. 𝚑.𝚎.𝚛.)

˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚

ADELEINE MARTIN NEVER USED TO LIKE COFFEE, at least the way her mother used to make it when she was a kid. The rich smell of the pure dark coffee absorbed the small one story house on evergreen drive continuously to the point where adeleine got used to the aroma but she never grew to like the taste. At least not until her intern year at Mercy West.

The constant rounds, twenty four hour shifts, and scut kept the girl on her feet all week. Keeping her mind busy so they didn't drift to the morbid thoughts of her mind like usual. A few weeks ago, her father passed away under the care of Mercy West, the hospital she worked in and now she could barely step foot into that room he was stationed in and where he took his last breath.

It wasn't like her father was a good man, in fact, the reason his dementia increased so suddenly was because the man, James Martin  - a twenty year sober famous nero surgeon. Picked up his first glass of alcohol after he made a mistake on a teenage boy during surgery killing him. That by itself is enough to scare a person for life, to have that type of blood on your hands. But the true reason it hit James so hard was because that was the first mistake he had made in the past twenty years, the first loss he created and the thought itself drove him to drink and not put down the glass until he drank the bar dry.

Adeleine's friends at Mercy West were sympathetic enough to Adeleine's situation that every friday night they would come by Adeleine's apartment and they would study their cases, eat, play games and fall asleep on the couch - just so that the girl didn't have to be alone.

And that's exactly where it brings Adeleine, standing in line Monday morning at the nearest starbucks, her hair tied neatly up and ready for work as she listened to the soft music filling the small building as she sat at a table sipping the warm dark coffee with creamy oat milk. As she closed her eyes for a split second she let the heat that was radiating off the warm liquid sweep into her veins, erasing the goosebumps that were spread across her bare arms seconds ago only for her short connection to her mother to disappear along with those goosebumps as the front door swept open and a flash of cold air moved through the building creating a chilling contrast.

Adeleine frowned slightly, she missed her mother more than her father. They were both pretty crappy parents to say the least, with her fathers alcoholism and dementia - her mother was heavily influenced with a common drug addiction and that one day where James went to pick up Adeleine and Finn from school only to come home for her mother not to be home and instead in her place - a note where it explained how she couldn't handle her responsibilities anymore and so she did the only thing she thought was reasonable and left. Naturally, James blamed Adeleine and Finn - which made an impact in their relationship. Making it more complicated than it already was.