Chapter 8

After making a quick stop to his residence, which was essentially an apartment where he lived in by himself, you were on the way back home. He had only packed the bare minimum of necessities, which surprisingly didn't take nearly as long as you'd expected. A single black duffel bag filled the corner of his trunk.

You wondered whether Killua ever felt lonely, being by himself all of the time outside of work hours. By the obvious looks of it, a roommate or dormitory partner didn't occupy the space with him. It'd never occurred to you that he'd always tried to cover up his identity outside, and rarely interacted with other people unless absolutely necessary at work. He pulled off the "I don't give a shit about anything" look quite nicely. But then again, he was utilized as a weapon; his hands were scarred with murder.

Now you were close to him, your museum of fear. And his own damaged persona explored your exhibit.

Once you had been pulled into the driveway of your house, you walked up the steps and rang the doorbell, waiting for a few seconds before your mom opened the door.

"Oh, y/n. What are you doing here so early?" she glances over your shoulder and you watched as the reflection of the Louis blue vehicle paint over her gleaming eyes. She leans against the doorframe casually and grins. "Is that your friend?" a huge, beaming smile spreading across her face.

"Uh, yea." you said, not exactly sure if she would be too happy seeing him. Rocking on your heels, you quickly turned back to see if she was able to see his white hair peeking from behind the tinted windows. Thankfully, it didn't.

"Well, don't be shy, let them come in for some tea!" she exclaims, motioning for you to collect Killua, but you stood in place and fiddled with the drawstrings of your hoodie.

"I-" you tried to create an excuse on the spot, but could only think of one that was probably believable to your mother. Somehow, almost every mom on the face of the earth knew exactly what to and what not to believe, but you'd managed to slip a few, if not many, acts under her nose without her knowing. She never had much of a watchful eye, reasoning why the apple fell far from the tree in your case. "They're- uhm- she's extremely allergic to peanuts." great, that came out even worse than you thought.

Your mom raises a brow and folded her arms. "Well, I can get rid of the jar if you want me to-"

"NO! Mom, like, extremely allergic." you emphasized the word, and widen your eyes. "If she gets even within a ten feet radius, she'll pass out! Heck, you might smell like peanuts without even knowing."

"Oh, well then I guess that can't be helped." she trailed off, squinting her eyes to get a better look of the car's interior, but you tilted your head to block her gaze.

"Pay attention to me."

She sighed. "What a feisty child I've raised. Well then, what brought you back home so early?"

"I was wondering if I could possibly spend the night with her," you paused, "possibly two?" you asked reluctantly, looking away to prepare yourself for a negative answer. Even if she wasn't going to allow you, you'd still ditch this place and take off.

Your mother was actually overwhelmingly ecstatic. "My goodness, my y/n's finally grown up!" she reaches forward to tug your cheeks, pinching them up to pull them into a forced smile. "I must be dreaming- of course you can go!"

It stung a bit, so you lifted your arms to gently remove the warmth of her cupped hands from your face. "Heh, yeah. I guess I just wanted to get out of my shell for once." You shouldn't be wasting time. "I'm going to get my things then, if you will excuse me."

"But of course! Would you like me to make anything? Something to eat?"

"No, mom. It's fine, I have enough cash." and with that, you dashed up the steps of your house, briskly looking over your room to find the bare essentials that would be needed.

Lighter, buds. What else? Oh right, probably a weapon.

You still had your cross bag clinging to your side, and were reminded by the tin inside containing a blade. Would that be enough?

This was all too much to handle. You lifted up the nearest small heap of clothes on the floor and stuffed some of them into your bag, looking over and finally grabbing the phone charger and extra money buried under the mattress. The stash was only kept there in pointless safekeeping.

Once you had done a quick overlook at the messy excuse of a room, you debated whether or not to take other items. Would a knife work? There weren't any guns lying around the house. You might need to ask if Killua had any, but thought twice of it when realizing he was probably beyond the skill level of a mere gun.

Shit, wasn't your period scheduled for this week?

That was too much of a hassle to worry about. As soon as you had disregarded any irrational thoughts, you had raced down and bolted past the doorframe to return to your awaiting coworker.

"Next time, invite her in! I'll make sure we get rid of every damn peanut in this household if it means my sweet y/n finally has a friend." you mom's voice gushed over the idea from inside the house, and you turn back to utter a brief goodbye before slamming the front door shut.