Ava | Chapter 30

Everything happened so fast, it took me a few seconds to process what my eyes were seeing. In the span of a second, Jace pinned the elf to a tree, holding him above ground by the neck with an iron fist.

I gasped and brought my hands to my mouth. "Jace!! What are you-

- What's this filth doing here!? DID YOU BRING HIM!?" His glare settled onto me, and a chill slid down my spine when I met his flaming eyes.

I was barely able to open my mouth despite my intention to reply, since Jace turned his face away to glare at the elf. His hand pressed harder against his throat, and I felt my fists clench with worry. He's going to kill him!

"He saved my life! Please, he's not a threat-" my phase was cut short when Jace suddenly folded in two, a painful grin distorting his face. The Elf was unwillingly released, but still managed to land on his feet and keep his composure.

Kira somehow managed to get to Jace's side in less than two seconds, while I couldn't stop myself from starring at him while he groaned in agony. That's when I noticed his skin was covered with lacerations, as if something ripped his flesh apart. The strange oppressing feeling before emanated from every inch of his body, sending a chill down my spine. What... happened to him?

Mate... hurt... my Wolf whimpered, shocked by Jace's injuries.

I kneeled down. "What's... wrong with him?" And why do I feel... so worried for him?

"He's dehydrated and at an advance state of exhaustion. He needs to rest." She didn't say more, not like she needed too, but we gave her the space she needed while she coaxed Jace to her makeshift bed.

I turned to the elf, and was surprised to find him starring intently at me. I became red as a tomato and averted my eyes. "How's... your neck?"

He passed a hand over his jugular, covering the hand shaped bruise. "I'm fine. It would take much more than that to kill me." He turned emerald green pools towards me then lifted his hand to brush my cheek. "I've missed you... my dear..."

I backed away and I could hear Cade and a few other wolves growl at his gesture, but I asked them to ease down over the link. To my surprise, they did, but I was too focused onto the Elf's words to worry about that.

"I'm sorry but... you must be mistaking. I've never met you... before..."

His face molded into a frown. "You... don't remember...?

- Ava." Our conversation was cut short when Kira pulled me away. I have to say; she had quite the grip for an old lady!

I followed the old healer -as if I was given any choice at all- and she stopped once we were far enough to not be disturbed, or I assume so.

When Kira's eyes met mine, a wave of dread washed over me. Words blurred out of my mouth. "Is Jace... Okay...?"

She scoffed. "Ha, as if a few cuts and bruises are going to kill him; no, he's perfectly fine. With a little rest, he'll be back on his feet."

I was unable to hold back a sigh of relief, which Kira seemed to have picked on since she frowned strangely. "Although, I might need to ask a great favor of you..." It was my turn to frown and she continued, holding my hand like a mother would. "Jace isn't well, mentally. I know you've arrived barely two weeks ago but, if he doesn't get any better, I'll have to ask you to temporarily remove his title as Alpha."

Needless to say, I was speechless. My eyes were round pools of confusion and pure shock. How can she expect me to do such a thing!? Not only am I the Omega, which practically forbids me to live or do anything, it would give Jace another reason to hate me even more! He already outranks me and cancels out any kind of authority I have...

I gazed down and she gently rubbed the back of my hands with her thumbs. "Please... only the Alpha female can do so."

The Alpha... female...? She can't be serious...

I locked eyes with Kira, a deep frown crowning my forehead. Her eyes shifted, puzzle by my reaction. "Don't give me that look! Surely, you must've seen this coming-!" I shook my head.

I'm... the Luna...? "I'm... his... mate..." the words came out as a mumble, but Kira managed to pick up on them and displayed a shock look on her face.

"You... didn't know?" She shook her head. "In the name of Selene, have you been living under a rock!?

- I... I never thought... How is it even possible...?" Catching on to my surprise, Kira's frown melted away and she gave out a long sigh.

"I wish it was someone else..."

I scoffed. "Pff... yeah, who would want the Omega as a leader anyways..." Kira yanked my arm and gazed into my eyes.

"Ava, stop hitting yourself on the head for one minute and listen dammit!" I was honestly startled how quickly she snapped, but I didn't pay much attention to my thoughts and instead, listened to what she had to say. "I wish it would've been someone else, because you deserve better."

I tilted my head and frowned. "What do-" she placed a wrinkly finger on my lips.

"Jace... isn't the nicest boy, as you've already witnessed. In fact, he's a troubled, no good coward, but he is still this pack's last and only hope. I'm sorry you have to live with how he treats you but, Selene never lies." Gently, she caressed my cheek with her hand, and I felt tears stung at my eyes as an omnipresent nostalgia washed over me.

Kira smiled softly. "I know it's a lot to ask of such a delicate young lady, but... Selene must've chosen you to help Jace get back onto the right path.

-Kira! Jace is stabilized, but his fever has gotten-" Zed froze when his icy gaze fell onto the Healer and I, which made him realize he had caught us in the middle of a conversation.

Kira sighed. "Yes, Zed?"

Zed nodded. "His fever, its gotten worse. We might need-

- Say no more!" She groaned, releasing my arms from her grasp while she mumbled and walked away. "I swear if that boy dies on me after everything I've done, I'll drag him out of hell and give him the beating of his life!"

Zed and I gazed at Kira while she disappeared in the bush, then he rubbed the back of his head with his head. He turned to me with a sheepish smile. "Yep, she's gonna kill me... if you don't mind me asking, what were you two talking about?"

-*-

Consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT for more!