Ava | Chap. 39

Clinging for dear life, I watched as Zed clawed and ripped at the monster's back, tearing its flesh apart as it tried to shake itself free. The monster then swung its giant arm and clamped it's claws into Zed's shoulder, sending the scout flying into a tree. To my horror, Zed's body went limp on impact, blood seeping out of a wound on his head, but I couldn't tell whether he was dead or unconscious.

Enraged, I heard Cade growl before he jumped head first to attack, while the monster blindly charged at Zed for a finishing move. I watched as Cade fought claw to claw with the beast, somehow unable to move from my spot. As he went for the throat, Cade was attacked from the side and pinned to the ground, the creature holding his head down with his powerful paw. A yelp of pain escaped the blond wolf's throat, but my eyes couldn't move away from the beast.

As hard as I tried, I was no longer in control, somehow, it felt like my Wolf had taken over my body and no longer answered... I was helpless. Unable to stop the carnage or help my friend who was being torn to shreds.

That's when it looked at me.

The creature's crimson pools glared right at me. I cried, ordered my body to move, but my legs simply refused to budge. I trembled in fear as the creature stomped closer towards me, its putrid breath invading my nostrils. When it was just a few inches from me, it crouched and its eyes suddenly changed to a much softer tone. My heart skipped a beat and the creature brought a paw up to my face, gently grazing my cheek.

Jace...?

Suddenly, a roar escaped the beast's throat and I realized he was screeching in pain as Zed viciously attacked his hind leg, only to be kicked in the face. Although once Jace freed himself from Zed, Cade immediately retaliated with a second attack, this time aiming for the arm. But the deformed beast was too quick and caught Cade midair by the throat, then slammed him into the ground, slowly crushing his skull.

I screamed, heartbroken to see my friend suffer and I screamed desperately over the chaos. "JACE, STOP PLEASE!!"

It felt like time itself had stopped around me as he and I once again locked eyes. Jace's previous snarl melted away and his crimson eyes gently turned back to their original color as he slowly loosened his grip on Cade.

He heard me...

But the moment was broken as a spear flew into his shoulder, piercing deep into his skin. He roared in agony and then pulled the spear out, sneering in the direction it came from. That's when I realized a multitude of elven soldiers had gathered around, spears and bows pointing at Jace, ready to fire. Enraged, the werewolf howled and launched himself onto the guards, wiping them away with his paws like they were insects.

I had to stop them, they're just going to end up killing each other!

Cade was about to jump in for another attack, but I quickly took my Wolf form and bolted ahead, blocking his path as I growled over the link.

CADE STOP! He halted in his tracks, confusion clouding his eyes as he snarled.

Ava, get out of here! Your gonna get-

IT'S JACE!

What!? A screech ripped from behind as Cade and I gazed up towards the sound, noticing Jace was in the middle of a fight against a growing number of elven troops. Spears and arrows flew from everywhere as blood spilled from both sides.

Cade's brows knitted with a frown, uncertain. My wolf whimpered, gazing up to his icy blue gaze. Cade please... you have to trust me on this...

He hesitated while the carnage continued from behind, but eventually, he nodded. Without wasting a second, we lunged to Jace's rescue. The beast was almost pinned to the ground, overwhelmed by the arrows and spears flying and piercing at his flesh, but Cade and I swiftly disposed of the elven guards; we either knocked them out or made them trip, giving Jace enough time to get back onto his feet.

A blood curdling roar escaped his throat and he glared around, ready to tear down the nearest target as he continued his path of destruction. Cade and I followed from a distance but I kept trying to reach him through the link.

Jace! It's me, Ava! Please you have to stop this, your hurting people!

Despite my efforts, Jace seemed oblivious of my calls and continued onto his path of destruction, slowly making his way towards the center of the village, where the tree palace stood. More and more guards swarmed the area, but Jace continued to swipe them away with a swift paw like leaves in the wind. Cade and I followed, winded as before. The creature gained more ground headed towards the tree palace, but he was suddenly stopped as a barrage of sharp thorns rose from the ground, seemingly out of nowhere. Enraged, Jace skidded to a halt and gazed around, quickly spotting King Valor as he stood his ground from a platform above. Jace squinted with rage and leaped towards him, but one of his legs was suddenly wrapped by a thorny vine which yanked him back to the ground. I realized it was Valor who was controlling the vines since he quickly lowered his hands, which the palms glowed green, ordering the plants movements.

Without a second thought, my body threw itself between the King and Jace as my Wolf took over completely, snarling at the royal Elf. I could feel my fur stand on end, my eyes locked onto Valor's. At first, the King didn't seem to make much out of my threat, until his eyes widened with realization.

A guttural laugh escaped his throat. "Has it really come to this, my dear!?" He croaked, accompanied by the crackling of the nearby fire. "Have you gotten mad!? Do you really think protecting such a monster will bring you any good?" He slowly walked forward, but I stood my ground, frozen in place as my limbs refused to move. "You betrayed us my dear... You turned your back against your own kind for some flea bitten mutt."

I yelped as a set of vines suddenly curled around my legs and neck, griping tightly onto me. I wanted to scream, but the ligament around my neck blocked my airway. I cried for help over the link, and Cade was quick to act, but he was quickly overwhelmed by a swarm of guards and pinned to the ground.

AVA!! I heard his voice cry with despair over the link, helpless as he was forced to watch.

Valor chuckled menacingly under his breath, turning his gaze towards Jace. "You tore our family apart; so I'll tear yours!!" Fuming with anger, Valor closed his hand into a fist and the vines suddenly tightened their grip onto Jace, literally squeezing the life out of him as he yelped in agony.

I snarled, feeling a howl rip from my throat as my Wolf watched her mate's life get drained. Slowly, I felt my airway close and I was unable to breath. I panicked and desperately tried to wriggle myself free... my neck began to burn and I feared my eyes were going to pop out of their sockets.

Then, a sudden blast of light emanated from the tree and flames protruded from every orifice, sending elves flying, including Valor, Jace, Cade and I in the wave of the blast. Thorns ripped at my flesh and I felt a sharp cut open in my neck. As my body fell onto the ground, blood oozed from my wound, chaos ensuing around me. While my my consciousness slipped away, I heard the King cry out in desperation.

"KATara!..."

-*-

Please consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT!