chapter 20: asgard

It's a little weird, now. Louis has calmed down to the point where he just feels a little empty, a little disoriented and kind of oddly light.

He's glad it takes Harry and Zayn a little longer than expected to get back-of course there is the worry that something might've happened to them, he's not stupid and he's not completely careless-but regardless, because it gives him some time to recompose himself, let this new concept settle in, and if he's going to be quite honest?

He's a little bit scared to face Harry now. Will it be different for him, will he feel different things?

Louis doesn't know, but he hopes so intensely that it'll be fine. He'd hate to lose their whole effortless teasing dynamics just because he had to go and fall in love.

Or, not fall in love, maybe. It's too soon for those kind of words, isn't it? It must be.

But then again, he also thinks of the words Sif said to Zayn last night, remembers thinking very highly of them. "If you're confident enough that it'll happen in the future to say 'yet' right now, I don't see why we cannot just take a shortcut."

Louis can see it, is the thing. In some version of time, where he's sure Harry actually likes him back and they both don't fight their feelings into exhaustion, he can see it happen. And he's scared fucking shitless.

It's cruel, really, that this is giving him so much stress when he's been longing for that pink tinted butterfly feeling of falling in love all his life. It's the one thing, except attending UoT (which-that went really well too, didn't it?), that he's truly been yearning for in his existence.

He's been so naïve karma had to take him down a notch.

According to Niall, Harry is supposed to feel the same, they're supposed to be it for each other, but not even that Louis can have complete faith in, once the doubts and overthinking make their entrance.

Niall sat with him for a long time, hugging him and telling him that it's okay for as long as Louis needed it, and then left to give Louis some time on his own to process. Louis isn't sure how good of an idea that last part was. Leaving Louis alone to process things usually make matters worse.

Which is why, when Niall finally shows up again in the doorway, Louis is relieved at the thought of some company.

That's not what Niall's having in mind though, eyes wide with joy as he only peaks his head in to utter a single statement.

"They're back!"

Something cold twists in Louis chest at the same time as a wave of ecstasy washes over him.

They're back. They're back, they're not dead, but they're back. Which is to say, Harry is back. Which is to say, Louis' time to let things sink in is over.

"They're okay?" he asks immediately.

"Yeah, yeah, it looks like it, come on!"

They both hurry on light feet out of the common room, down the stairs and out into the massive hallway, where, as promised, Harry and Zayn are standing with giddy smiles and tired eyes.

Louis forgets for a second, that things are supposed to be different now, and he dives in with the intention of pulling them both in for a hug.

But then his eyes fall on Harry, really fall on him, and he has to stop in his tracks. He settles a few feet away from the pair, toes pointing inwards and pursing his mouth to the side. Will a hug make something erupt in him now? Should things be different, should Louis feel changed looking at Harry now, now that there's no doubt anymore?