v

"the wilderness holds answers to questions we have not yet learned to ask" -nancy wynne newhall

・・・

"We should pack for a week-long trip," said Grizz. "Assuming the geography is the same, that should get us all the way to New Haven."

I sat at his dining room table with Luke, Gwen, and some other kids named Bean, Emily, and Dan. They had all volunteered to come on the reconnaissance mission with us.

"Okay, Luke and Dan. You two can go to the outdoors store to get the supplies we don't already have at home," I said, looking at my chart of tasks. "Gwen and Bean will go to the grocery store to get food. Grizz and I will search our houses for anything else that we'll need. We should have enough backpacks and bedrolls for everyone, that's why it's not on the supplies list."

I handed the grocery list to Gwen and the camping list to Luke. "We'll meet at the school gym in an hour and a half to pack and make any final adjustments."

We split up, everyone going to complete the tasks assigned to them. I walked home, which thankfully wasn't that far, only about a mile.

When I got home, I searched the attic for our old camping supplies. I set aside our sleeping bags, lanterns, and propane stove. Eventually, I found the four-person tent for me and the other girls. It would be a tight fit, but it would have to do. Grizz was bringing his family's for the boys to share.

My phone went off, so I picked up. It was Grizz.

"Hey," he said. "I can't find a mallet, do you have one?"

"Um, let me look." I dug through our tent bag and came across the mallet. "Here it is, I'll bring it."

"Thank you so much," he said.

"No problem," I replied.

"Okay, see you soon," he said and hung up.

・・・

A little while later, I stood in the high school gym with the rest of the expedition group. We were organizing all of the supplies, so everything was distributed evenly. I checked things off of the master list as they were put away, making note of who was going to be carrying what.

Once we finished, Luke clapped his hands together. "Awesome work, guys," he said. "I think we're actually prepared for this."

"What do you mean 'actually?'" joked Gwen.

"Yeah, did you not believe in us?" I asked.

"No, of course not. I mean, I knew we'd do great," said Luke, flushing from embarrassment.

"I texted Cassandra, she's meeting us at the southern exit from town to send us off," said Grizz, checking his phone.

"Awesome, does everyone have their bags?" I asked, adjusting the shoulder straps on mine. Everyone nodded and started to pick up their belongings. "Let's go."