1. 1944

It was 1944, you're two best friends had just left on a mission to take down the enemy, Hydra. Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes had been your best friends for almost ten years, you'd been with them through everything: through Bucky leaving for war, through Steve turning into Captain America, you three were a trio that could never be torn apart. That was until this mission. Steve returned alone.

You'd heard rumours of what had happened, but you refused to believe it. Bucky was the closest friend you'd ever had; he couldn't be gone. You met Steve in the remains of a cafe that was caught in the crossfire a few weeks prior.
'Is it true?', you said from behind him, you walked over the rubble, over to where he was sat at one of the only tables still standing. He turned his head to look at you, that's when you saw his eyes, burned red from tears. It felt as though your heart had dropped all the way to your stomach, the pure sadness in his eyes gave you your answer.
'Steve...', you sat down in the chair opposite him, a tear rolling down your cheek. He looked at you,
'I couldn't save him...', he whispered. This confirmed the rumours, it confirmed what you'd suspected, it confirmed the worst. You shattered at those words; it didn't feel real that one of you had gone and wasn't coming back. More tears spilled from your eyes,
'H-He's gone...'

Not long after that day, you found yourself sat with Steve and Peggy. The three of you were discussing a plan to take down Schmidt (along with the rest of Hydra). Howard Stark, another friend of yours, supplied you with a meeting space. You'd managed to find out that Schmidt is planning to attack by plane, using aircrafts to take down different cities.
'We need to get you on that plane', You looked at Steve,
'That's easier said than done', he replied. You turn to Peggy who had a nervous look on her face,
'Not when you've got us to help', you gave her a reassuring smile, which she returned. Since Steve and Peggy had gotten closer, you'd also formed a friendship with her. The first time the two of you met you clicked instantly, and from then the bond had only grown. Steve looked at the pair of you,
'I don't want you two getting involved', he replied. You could tell he was still on edge after losing Bucky, and the thought of losing either of you pained him.
'That's not your choice', you replied sharply. The last thing you wanted was for him to try to take down Schmidt alone. You couldn't lose him too. He nodded, accepting that he wouldn't win if he tried to argue.
'I'll find out where he plans to depart from, and we'll meet him there, before he's even taken off...', you said.
'I can help, we've been tracking some of his men for a while now, that should give us a heads up', Peggy added. You and Steve nodded. The three of you sat and talked for the rest of the evening, about the plan but also other things. You could tell how much Peggy meant to Steve, you were so happy for him that he'd finally found someone who seemed perfect for him.

A few weeks later Steve had found his way onto Schmidt's plane. After an unsuccessful attempt at stopping him from leaving, Steve boarded the aircraft through an opening at the back, leaving you and Peggy grounded. You both made your way to the communications stations, which allowed you to talk to Steve through radio after he'd taken Schmidt down. Peggy ran over to the station as Steve tried to make contact,
'Steve, what's happening?', she asksed. You walked over and sat next to her; a feeling of worry crept over you.
'Schmidt's dead... but the planes heading straight for New York, it's not going to be a safe landing', he replied, his voice was crackly and muffled through the speaker.
'We can get Howard on the line, he'll know what to do', you said as you started to panic, you knew you wouldn't be able to handle losing him so soon after losing Bucky.
'Y/N there's no time...I've gotta put her in the water..', you closed your eyes and shook your head at his response, refusing to believe what was happening. Peggy's eyes were glossy with tears, you could tell that she was feeling the exact same as you.
'Steve...I can't lose you too', your voice cracked as you said those words, the pain taking over your body.
'...I'm sorry..', he said quietly before the line cut off completely.
'Steve..?', Peggy's voice was shaky, the words could barely make it out. You looked down as tears fell down your cheeks. Your worst nightmare had come true.