5. Bigger Problems

Steve returns home from his visit to the Smithsonian. He notices that the front door to his one-bedroom apartment is unlocked. Knowing that he definitely didn't leave it like this, he makes his way through the door cautiously. He sneaks down the hallway, grabbing his shield and gripping onto to it as he makes his way forward, almost afraid of his own home. As he reaches the end of the corridor, he peaks round the corner only to see Nick Fury sat in the darkness of his lounge. As annoyed as he feels, he can't help but feel a small wave of relief.
'What are you doing here?' he asks, clearly irritated that Fury has broken into his apartment.
'Where've you been?', Fury questions back.
'Just out...', Steve looks down, wanting to avoid eye contact.
'Don't tell me you're still looking for her?'
'You're the one that said-', 
'I said that three years ago, I'm sorry I gave you hope, I shouldn't have planted that seed.' Fury interrupts.
'If Y/N's out there, I need to find her', Steve walks forward and reaches for the light switch, he flicks it on, illuminating Fury's beaten face. Steve's expression changes to a look of concern as he realises this isn't any old visit. Fury holds his hand up as to signal not to say anything about his state. He reaches back to the other light switch his side of the room, flicking it off and putting the two back into darkness.
'What happened to you?' Steve asks, needing to know.
'We've got bigger problems now Cap, I need you to forget about her', Fury replies. Steve feels as though Fury's asked him to do the impossible.
'Do you really think she's gone?', He asks.
'Yes,' Fury states sternly. 'And I think she has been for a long, long time.' Steve looks down, not knowing whether or not to believe the injured man sat in front of him. 'I'm sorry you lost her, but we need you in the present day now Cap.'

Steve sits with Fury in the darkness as Fury updates him on the day's events. They decide that they need to get the team together to fight this. As involved Steve seems in the new mission, he can't give up the idea that you might still be out there.

A few days later, Steve and Fury are sat with the rest of their close team: Natasha Romanoff, Sam Wilson and Maria Hill. The group are discussing the incident, picking apart every part Fury can remember, which honestly isn't a lot, but Fury has a lot of background information that can hopefully push the team in the right direction.
'Alexander Pierce...' Fury holds up an image for them to put a face to the name, 'The Secretary of S.H.I.E.L.D, who is actually working for Hydra...', He sighs and looks up to Steve. Steve's wearing a disgusted expression, he can't seem to feel anything but anger recently. Fury continues, 'He ordered to have me killed, and he's got some sort of "Super Soldier" of his own.'
'If he wanted you dead, then why aren't you?' Natasha points out as she and Steve make eye contact.
'Because someone saved me...', Fury replies.
'Who?' Sam asks.
'I don't know... I didn't see their face',
'Could this mean that there is someone else out there who could help us?', Maria asks. Fury looks over to her and nods slowly. Natasha looks at the pair also nodding slightly, as to show partial agreement.
'You said something about another Super Soldier?', Steve asks.
'I believe that he could be an individual called the Winter Soldier...', Maria responds. Natasha looks down, looking like she's fallen into a deep thought. Sam and Steve share a look of concern.
'To take down Hydra we need to take down the Winter Soldier', Fury says.
'And how exactly do we do that?', Natasha pulls back into the conversation.
'Leave it to me, if he's anything like I am then I know how to fight him', Steve says, 'You need to aim for the rest of Hydra', he orders the team before turning to face Fury, 'And find whoever saved you, they might know something, why else would they get involved?', he states. Fury nods slowly, not familiar with taking orders. He looks around the group to make sure everyone is in agreement, which appears they are.
'So, when do we start?' Sam asks. Fury leans back in his chair, maintaining eye contact with Steve,
'Now.'