004

"And who are these people? I mean what kind of weirdo makes friends after two days?" Rachel Archer questioned her daughter, her thin brows furrowing. Valerie Archer had never been one to shy away from people, but she usually tended to stay in small elite groups.

No one in Hawkins Indiana was close to Elite.

"Carol is on the cheer team with me, Tommy's Carol's boyfriend. Steve is Tommy and Charlie's best friend and Steve's girlfriend, Nancy, is Charlie's sister and Barb's best friend, or well, only friend probably." Valerie spoke all in one breath.

Rachel blinked a few times at her daughter. "Oh, well okay then!" Valerie chuckled lightly at her mother, who was still trying to make sense of the girl's words. Valerie had learned from a young age that the more information she overwhelmed the woman with the less questions she'd ask.

"Y'know, I really just hope this is one of those situations where the new girl is lured in by a cult of satanic friends who sacrifice her to the devil for fame." Valerie hummed as she sat on the edge her bed, her mother sat across from her as the woman finished painting Valerie's toenails a dark shade of purple.

"Too bad you're kind of a slutty Sally, only virgins get sacrificed." Rachel teased her daughter, who scoffed at the insult as she kicked her mother playfully. "Mom!" Valerie laughed out. "Sorry, hun, but it's best to set realistic expectations."

"Mmh, you think you're just so funny don't you?" Valerie mocked her mom as she gave her a fake smile. Rachel laughed out at her daughter's antics before screwing the top onto her bottle of nail polish and standing, walking over to Valerie's closet.

"What are you doing?" Valerie questioned her mom as she rummaged through the girl's closet. "Val dear, you can't show up wearing the same outfit you wore to school." Rachel spoke as if it was obvious.

"Oh, yeah. Because us cool kids can't be bothered to wear less than two different outfits a day." Valerie rolled her eyes. "Hey, I know what I'm talking about you ungrateful brat." Rachel hissed before tossing a green, pink, and white striped collared shirt at Valerie.

"Sure you do." Valerie simply sneered as she took the top and slipped into the bathroom, throwing the top on after pulling the sweater she had worn to school off. After running a hand through her wavy locks of hair the girl clipped two green barrettes into her curtain bangs and reapplied her mascara.

"Are you satisfied?" Valerie questioned as she exited the bathroom, tossing her top onto her bed. "Very." Rachel snickered as she examined her daughter proudly before picking up the girl's discarded top and folding it neatly.

A beep sounded from outside, pulling the girl's attention away from Rachel, who was determined to live life vicariously through her daughter in an effort to make up for her lack of a childhood. "That's Carol and Tommy." Valerie spoke as she quickly grabbed her purse.

"Hey, have fun, but remember the rules sweetie." Rachel called out before walking over to the girl's dresser and picking up a clear blue tablet. Valerie rolled her eyes and sighed before sticking out her tongue for the woman.

Valerie cringed at the taste of swallowing the pill dry before she exited her house, quickly trying to push the feeling away as she reached Tommy's car. Tommy whistled at the girl as she came into view, causing Carol to shoot him a sharp look but also praise the girl's appearance.