The Promise of a Future

Cookies, ice cream, popcorn...

Tumingin ako sa basket na dala ko. May kulang pa ba ako? May nakakalimutan ba ako?

Dapat talaga sinunod ko 'yung sinabi ni Arvee na maglista ng mga bibilhin. Nag-enumerate pa naman ako sa kanya kanina, tapos ngayon...

"Little Miss Ember!"

Lumingon ako sa nagbanggit ng nickname ko noong elementary na tumatak hanggang college. Hindi na Lea ang tawag sa akin ng mga kaibigan ko. Ang akala pa ng iba, Ember ang totoo kong pangalan! At itong si Sandra ang nagpasimuno noon.

"Sandra! Gosh, namiss kita!" Mabilis ko siyang niyakap.

Natawa siya. "Kakakita lang natin kahapon!"

It's either masyado nang matagal ang pagkakayakap ko sa kanya o dahil sa pagsasalita namin ng Tagalog dito sa Canada kaya pinagtitinginan kami ng mga tao, but I'm just really happy. Hinawakan ko ang mga balikat niya para kumalas.

"How's your charity? Is it doing good?"

My best friend founded a charity for depressed women. Ngayong nagsisimula na siyang mag-plano ng event para sa kanyang cause, kailangan niya ng donations and help to make it happen.

"It's doing great! In fact, someone anonymously donated a million dollars! I mean, that's freaking huge! It would help a lot! Then..." She babbled. Napatigil siya nang makita ang ngiti sa mukha ko. "You're the mysterious donor, aren't you?"

I laughed. "What? I'm just happy for you."

She humphed. "Kung mame-meet ko man ang taong iyon, I'm going to thank him for his warm heart. He helped a lot of women."

That's why you named me Ember.

After catching up with Sandra, we separated ways. As much as I wanted to spend the day with her, I also have my boyfriend waiting for me at home.

So when I did come home and saw him cocooned in a comforter in front of our fireplace, looking all comfy and cute, my heart felt like bursting. Could I love my man anymore? Is this even healthy? Kahit ginagawa ko siyang canvas to practice my makeup skills, he never fails to make my heart flutter.

I placed the groceries by the door and sat beside Arvee.

"Ah, my love, I missed you." I cupped and showered his face with kisses, making him laugh.

He wiggled out of the comforter to hug me and the biggest wave of relief goes through me. "Sorry, I couldn't accompany you to the grocery store."

I looked at him worriedly. "Masama pa rin pakiramdam mo? Should we continue our movie marathon? Magpahinga ka na lang kaya?"

Kaninang umaga pa masama ang pakiramdam niya kaya hindi ko na pinasama sa supermarket kahit nagpupumilit. I knew how to drive, and the items weren't hard to hold. Pillows lang naman iyon and some food. I could do it on my own.

"I'm okay," he nuzzled my cheek.

Then I remembered the thing that's currently hiding in my pocket, the most important of all my purchases this week—even in my lifetime. I opened my phone and recorded us live via Facebook. Once everything was settled, I smiled at the camera.

"Hi, guys! Welcome to Lea, the Ember's daily life. Today, we have a guest, the most frequent one ever, Arvee!"

I turned to my boyfriend and batted my eyelashes.

He finally gave in and greeted the camera with American accent he practiced so hard. Gosh, he looked so cute, awkward, funny and handsome all at the same time I can't even!

"I have a set of activities for this live, but first, we're going to play a game." I grinned at him.

"We are?" Ngayon, mukha na talaga siyang natatawa.

"Yeah. We're going to ask each other questions, anything we're curious about, sort of a warm-up. I'll go first." I cleared my throat. "Are you happy right now?"

"Yes, 100 out of 10," he smiled. "My turn. Did something good happen today?"

"Yes! I saw Sandra." But the best part is yet come. "Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

He didn't even blink before answering. "I'd like to see myself sitting here," he gestured to the room around us, "cuddling with you while watching our kids play."

I nodded proudly, satisfied with his answer. He stared at me for a moment, I thought I had something on my face.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes—" Only then did my brain process his question. "Wait, what?!"

He laughed heartily, sliding the ring from his pocket on my finger. "Wala nang bawian!"

"Wala naman akong balak bawiin! Pero... pero..." I struggled to find words. The ring was freaking beautiful I felt like crying. "That was supposed to be my line!"

He laughed again. "It doesn't matter whose line it is. I love you so much."

And with his kiss, I felt everything—my heart pounding, my stomach churning, my limbs liquefying, and the promise of a future.