Chapter One

I TENSED UP, my arms shaking and my eyes widened with fear. I wanted to call out for help, wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. Wanted to run far away. But all I could do was stand there, paralyzed, unable to move, my heart practically beating out of my chest.

My eyes watered with raw tears, and my bottom lip quivered uncontrollably. My hands clenched tighter around the two bags full of grocery that I was carrying.

I was about to throw the bags and run the opposite way that I was heading, even though I knew that my sister and brothers would be seriously mad that I came back empty handed, wasting money in the process. We're already barely scraping by as it is.

Why am I such a coward?

I stood, facing in front of a dog, not too big and not too small, who had escaped from the gate that confined him to his yard. He squared off against me, baring his teeth and growling at me.

I let out a poorly concealed whimper, half glad that no one could see me in such a stupid state, but the other half of me wished that someone could show up out of no one where and save me before the dog uses me as an overgrown chew toy.

I know that my fear is irrational. I know it. But I am afraid. I'm so fucking afraid I can barely breathe. And if my siblings hear about this incident, I already know what they are going to say.

Why are you like this? You're just making my life harder, you know, my older brother, Nicholas, would say, totally disappointed in me. He was only seventeen, but forced to be the head of our household after the deaths of our parents a year ago, though he doesn't really do a good job at taking care of things.

Sis, you're totally such a stupid lamo, my older brother at sixteen, Nathan, would say. He was my nicest sibling, and always brightens everyone's day, but if there's one thing he hates, is my cowardness.

Why are you my sister? my twin sister at fifteen, Naomi, would ask as if she genuinely wanted an answer, which honestly hurt. She was the perfect twin and I'm kind of jealous of her.

I wasn't sure exactly what my thirteen year old brother, Nolan, would say -- he was unpredictable, and often kept to himself, but when he's with us, he always has something mean to say to everyone except Nicolas, who he looks up to.

I took a deep breath, which was very much needed. I was on the verge of an anxiety attack, that much wass clear. And having one right in front of a threat, such as this hostile dog, would be very bad.

Don't make any sudden moves, I told myself, taking another breath. Just pretend the dog isn't there. Just walk. Just breathe. Don't be afraid.

Don't. Be. Afraid.

The dog bent down threateningly, still growling at me. Then he leaped back up.

Run.

I let out a scream against my better judgement and starting running toward the dog, knowing that to get home, I needed to pass him.

The dog let out a whimper as I drew closer but I zoomed past it as fast as my short legs could carry me. To my luck, the dog merely whined some more and went back into his yard.

What a coward.

I slowed down as I reached my street. Mapleberry Lane. I began walking, my eyes nervously darting from house to house, hoping that no one or their pets came out to attack me or something.

A relieved smile broke onto my face when I saw my house come into view. Small, red and made with bricks.

I walked into my lawn, the bags still firmly in my hands, and looked up at the sky. Grey clouds were forming up above, causing me to frown.