8

21 May 1471

"Doctors teach their children that they must win ... at any cost"

"a great man does good, and you Lorenzo must do it and be good, and if that means suffering a defeat you will see that you will find a way to win tomorrow, or the day after, or the one after"

"Philosophy is of little comfort in defeat"

"All of Florence is counting on you, all of Florence expects great things from you"

"You can't lose, no matter what others say"

Lorenzo remembered the words of his grandmother Contessina and Marco Bello, he was the most faithful friend of Cosimo, his grandfather, he spent his last years raising Lorenzo with Contessina.
He was standing in front of Giuliano's room, who was much better, he was putting a bandage on his arm, they had been days of interminable pain for him, but he always had Beatrice at his side, night and day, they had spent the last 10 days together.
"I know" Giuliano asked, walking barefoot towards a wall to lean on.
"Yes"
"Why were you tired of waiting for him to retire?"
"I didn't have a choice"
"You didn't have a choice"
"Yes I had another choice"
"We were expecting it this day, but I didn't think I would see it so soon"
Lucrezia opened the doors of Piero's room.
"Lorenzo, your father is awake," she said, leaning against the door and looking at him, Lorenzo got up and entered the room.

"Lorenzo you have news from Sforza" The Magnificent put his jacket on a bench and looked at his father "he withdrew his army and returned to Milan" apparently fell into despair "then the bank is lost"
"No, the priors have given us more time to cover the debts"
"On what condition?"
"That you withdraw"
"It was Pazzi, it's his work, he didn't kill me but" Lorenzo interrupted his father
"No father, it's my doing" Piero looked doubtfully at his son
"Yours?"
"I took your place"
"You?"
"It was the only way to stop Sforza"
"Stop it by opposing me?" Piero grabbed his son's shirt
"Father" the lord de Facto of Florence moved his eyes to his wife "you knew Lucrezia, did you know?"
"He didn't know" Lorenzo answered in his mother's place "but I would have supported him, to protect Florence" Lucrezia waved her finger "and so the betrayal is complete" Medici pushed his son while he said those words.
"Your grandfather has if, pre-preferred you, even when you were little, this made you arrogant"
"No Piero, it's not like that at all" Lucrezia went up to Lorenzo and put her arm behind her back "I'm trying to save the Florence you built with so much effort"
"You will not enchant me with your words, you have destroyed me, and debts are still to be honored, there are so many things you do not understand"
"I will go to Rome and ask the pope for a delay"
"The Pope will not grant it to you"
"But I'll ask for it anyway"
Lorenzo approached his mother, "Pazzi will take the opportunity to take the pope's account and to govern Furenze once and for all"
"Yes, he will certainly try"
"You got the power but you betrayed your father, this will be a stain on your name"
"And then I'll wash it away ... you have my word"
Lorenzo reached the corridor and Lucrezia stopped him.
"He will pass them! I pack my bags for Rome"
"You?"
"You will not think that he will let you go alone.

Lucrezia and Lorenzo got into the carriage.
"Say hello to Carlo," said Giuliano, leaning against the vehicle, "certainly" replied his mother "and pay attention," he continued.
Lorenzo put his hands on his brother's shoulders "pay attention, and stay away from Francesco Pazzi, Beatrice keep an eye on him"
"I'll do it Lorenzo"
The horses set off quickly and Beatruce looked at Giuliano and approached him.
Behind them, behind Giuliano, Beatrice, Sandro and Cosimo, Bianca tried to go back into the house without being seen but Giuliano noticed, "where have you been?"
"It matters" Giuliano approached her sister and walked around her, on her face there were still the signs of Francesco's attack that Beatrice had treated with so much love.
"Lorenzo wanted to talk to you"
"Tell me about what?" Giuliano returned to his sister
"She didn't say it" Bianca smiled, she turned and walked into the house under Giuliano's eyes.
"In my opinion Bianca is in love" Beatrice joined Giuliano smiling
"yes, but whose?"

In the meantime, at Palazzo Pazzi there was discussion about Lorenzo's departure and how to destroy the Medici

A week later, Rome
Rome in the eyes of all was impoverished and much, unlike Florence which had become rich thanks to Piero and Cosimo de 'Medici, in Rome they used the people to enrich the banks and the Medici used the banks to enrich the people, that people who he insulted the name of Piero, but the last chapter of the Medici will not be a defeat, because Lorenzo will write it.

And just as the carriage was crossing Rome, he saw for the first time Clarice Orsini, his future wife, she knocked on the door of a house used as a shelter for the poor, he, Lorenzo, with his blue chariots looked at her and saw in she is a strong and right woman for him.
Clarice entered the residence, in line, adults and children were waiting for their lunch, she after putting on an apron went to a woman, probably ill, at her side was Don Carlo, he was the illegitimate son of Cosimo and Maddalena a servant.
After a few words of comfort to the woman, she died under the tender eyes of Orsini and the good priest.
"You have been a great comfort to her, Clarice"
"There are many who suffer, I would like to do more"
"Few do as much as you" the praetor turned towards the house but Clarice interrupted him
"Father ... I would like to live like you and my brothers"
"Do you want to take vows? It's a very important decision, there's no turning back and I doubt your family would approve."
"That's for sure, but the decision is up to me, maybe you could help me understand" the priest didn't know what to say and swallowed "maybe ... but now I have to leave you ... my nephew is coming from Florence"
"Father Carlo ... so young and you have a nephew ..."
"For me Lorenzo is like a brother, we are the same age, but my father, Cosimo was his grandfather"
Clarice didn't understand "your grandfather?"
"My mother was a slave, but the Medici welcomed me and raised me as one of them" Clarice smiled "you Florentines are an extraordinary people"
"I guess that's true," Carlo replied.