Chapter 5

Adan spent morning after morning reading the stories from the surrounding shelves to me. He would patiently preface each one with the origin planet and a bit of the history. He seemed driven by my hunger for more. It was stark compared to my friends and family that seemed to shrug through my interests without ever grappling with its depth.

"Where do you go in the afternoons?" I asked over one lunch.

"I tend to the needs of the planets. This is the mother planet," He murmured as he diverted his eyes from me.

"Do you leave? I have not seen any crafts departing."

"Shuttles are a primitive and lengthy way to travel."

"And you have a better way?"

"I would not say better, but one that does not require as much maintenance."

"I'm listening," I prodded.

He sighed, reluctance permeating his posture.

"You said you would share. It is time we augmented the books."

"Your people have hardly scratched the service of special relativity."

"Special relativity?" I could not recall the term.

"Black holes," he responded quickly from my call. "Of course, they are much more than that, and when properly harness, the speed and safety are far superior."

"I would like to accompany you."

He gazed across the table at me. "You may join me today, but I fear you will be disappointed. I have no plans to travel."

He was correct; I was disappointed. But I was still eager to partake in whatever his mysterious afternoons offered.

We headed down an extended wing of the castle I had yet to explore. It plunged us into near darkness before Adan stopped abruptly.

"Tell me if you grow uncomfortable," he murmured before plucking a blanket from a hook and opening the door to the bright midday sun.

"Oh my," I said as I shielded my eyes from the blistering light. "I had thought the desolate twilight was constant from our first days here. I did not realize that you had such beautiful days."

"One person's beauty is another's grotesque," he offered to temper the clear warm day.

As if the sky could sense the brightness blasting my eyes, the sun slipped behind a cloud providing relief from the brilliant light.

"Well, in my opinion, this is beauty," I contended as I stepped outside.

The world could not be more different. The gnarled grey branches of the emory were now playful twists and braids accented with dots of delicate white, red, and yellow flowers.

"Aren't you a pretty little thing," I whispered to a perfect little blossom that was just beyond my fingertip. As if it heard my praise, the velvety petals tickled my finger in a caressing manner, like a cat looking for attention.

"Are you cold?" He asked as we walked through the fantastical garden of blooms and foliage.

"No, it is such a perfect temperature today." As I spoke, a soothing breeze twirled around me in a playful manner that pulled a childish giggle from my lips.

"Tell me what you see?" He asked. "I would like to see this world through your eyes.

"Mmhmm, a luxury indeed to have a stranger see your lovely planet with fresh eyes." I let my elbow tap into him playfully, causing him to recoil slightly by my casual touch. "I'm sorry," I murmured as I dropped my eyes.