Chapter One: The Beginning

Waverly
    "I've got sunshine on a cloudy dayyyyy" Waverly's phone screamed out at promptly 7:00 am. Waverly rolled over and tried to find the alarm button on her phone. After spending what felt like forever listening to The Temptations sing about love, the song stopped and Waverly let her arm fall to the bed. Why she still had that song as her alarm, she would never know. Letting out a breath of air, Waves wished she could shut her eyes and re-enter dreamland. However, today was the day. The day that she would pack what was left of her apartment and drive over three hours to Purgatory in a big boxed truck, that she doubted had working air conditioning for the little amount of money she had to pay to rent it.

She slid her legs out of from under the sheets and sat up. She caught a glimpse of the boxes that filled the hallway outside of her room, and she moaned again.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do, Waverly Earp?" She mumbled to herself and she slid off the bed and stretched to the ceiling. "You could back out now...Maybe have Wynonna save the homestead..." She giggled to herself. Wynonna wasn't around much these days. Last thing she had heard, she was in a completely different country. Waverly missed her older sister. She hadn't seen her since Waves had graduated high school, and that was four years ago.

*Knock, knock, knock*

The pounding at the door brought Waverly out of her sleepy morning trance. She walked to the door expecting the moving guys, but was met by Molly. The elderly woman who lived next door. Molly gave Waverly a judgmental look as she took in Waverly's Winnie-the-pooh pajama shorts and She-Ra cropped t-shirt. "Honey, I don't know if you know, but there is a truck in your driveway." Molly stated with the twang of an old western, and the judgement of an old woman. Waverly immediately wanted to respond with a sarcastic "No...really?" but she held her tongue and smiled.

"Yes! I am moving today. I sure will miss you...and how you always check in on me...every morning." Waves added the extra emphasis, wondering if Molly could even pick up on her annoyance.

"Yes, yes, dear. A young woman like you needs to have a good role model. You can't go around mother-less and figure out all this out by yourself. You'd probably end up pregnant. Or dead. Or pregnant and dead." Molly preached.

Waverly couldn't help but let out a laugh. The look Molly gave her quickly made her shut her mouth. "Okay, but if that's all you wanted, then I better get to packing." Waverly said gritting her teeth. She was ready for this conversation to end, and was glad to leave the old bitter woman behind.

Molly turned around without another word and walked across the grass to her home. Mumbling along the way about how the young generation has no morality. Waverly turned her head and saw the moving guys getting out of their truck. She waved at them and led them to boxes that needed loading. They followed her directions and quickly got the contents of Wave's life packed into the box truck. She was amazed at how quickly they worked, but sad that her time here was coming to an end. While they were working, Waverly quickly got dressed in a short jean skirt and cropped black tank top. She clipped the necklace around her neck that Wynonna had mailed her for her birthday the past year. It was diamond angel wings, that held a sapphire in the middle. Waverly wasn't sure why Wynonna had sent such a beautiful and expensive gift, but assumed it was a "sorry" for being so distant. She quickly pulled a brush through her hair and slid everything into her backpack. The movers knocked on the bathroom door. Waverly opened it to the kind face of the head mover, and he notified her that they were done and the truck was ready. She thanked them and gave them their payment. They left soon after.

Waverly took her key off her key ring and placed it on the kitchen counter. This apartment had been her home for four years while she had gotten her history degree. She glanced around at the living room she had drank too much wine in, and laughed with friends. So many memories in those few years. She glanced at the bathroom that she had sat in during her first broken heart. A frat boy. Of course. She smiled. Her eyes filled with tears. She glanced in the bedroom, letting her nose smell the comfort of her life for four years. She felt a tear slip down her cheek. "Waves, you can do this." She whispered to herself. She quickly walked out the door of the apartment and shut it behind her. This was it. This was her life and this was just the beginning.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Authors Note: Ah! This is the first chapter of my first book!!! I know it's short, but it will only get better from here. I want to challenge myself to update every single day. So be on the lookout for the second chapter tomorrow! This book will contain POV from both Waverly and Nicole. (Maybe other characters farther down the line.) How do you like it so far? Anything to improve on?