9. The Dinner Date

After we finished up the panel I stuck around the conference hall to network whilst Ethan had ditched the crowd at the first opportunity he got, heading back to our hotel room and venturing away from the pecking vultures. To be honest, I didn't really blame him. Everyone wanted a piece of the poor, well-endowed man.

A couple hours later, I shuffled back into our apartment. My aching feet somehow prevailed without causing me to collapse on the odd geometric carpet floor, or ditching my heels along the way and walking barefoot like some uncultured frosh stumbling home at 3AM. Once through the heavy metal plated door, I headed straight to my room, not throwing a single pleasantry towards Ethan in the seating area. From what I could tell he was typing furiously on his laptop after nursing a scotch - the empty crystal tumbler on the table was a dead giveaway.

The anxiety and delirium inducing stress of the day lifted the second my kinda-sweaty body collapsed onto the private armchair in my room, clutching its aqua-colored arms and sinking into the velvet cushion. Staring out at the familiar skyline my mind started to replay the happenings of the day; every little thing that happened - from the confidence I felt during our speech, to the way that asshole called me out, and how Ethan stood up for me every step of the way. How proud he was even if he relayed the sentiment in such small words.

We survived today. We haven't strangled each other nor suffered any little deaths. All that's left for this trip is the tour we have tomorrow morning, and then we'll be on our way back to Edenbrook. Back to the way things were...

Somehow my tired and self destructive brain decided it wanted to revel in the memories of the last few days. Thinking about all the non-work things that happened this trip. Thinking of all the words shared, and the blast from the past. And the revelation that little adventure birthed.

Fuck me...

Things are weird. Like, so weird . I don't know what I'm doing or why I'm even thinking this... but I miss him . Today showed me how great we are together! Professionally and as friends. We're the dynamic duo: Ramsey and his Rookie. His . I -

I need to stop thinking that.

I belong to myself. I do what I want when I want and with whom I want.

And so does he. And that's why I walked away. I'm-

I'm still getting over him.

While simultaneously trying to get under him...

Thoughts wandered back to Ryan and how long it took me to get over the detrimental 'what if's of him. If I held on tighter and longer and didn't get in the way of myself back then - if one thing was different - everything could be different.

A small, revelatory gasp escaped me.

I didn't want things to be different.

After eight fucking years I finally understood.

If I didn't love and lose Ryan I never would have found my way to Boston. To Ethan. And here - knowing what I do and having all the experiences of the last few months - I couldn't continue a life without knowing Ethan Ramsey.

I'm going to do whatever I can to repair our friendship.

I changed my clothes into something not requiring heels - black skinny jeans, a blouse and my trusty Chelsea boots - and my hair pulled back into a bun. Simple, sleek, and completely me. No pomp and circumstance, or hiding behind anything. Just me, making an effort.

With all the determination I could muster I sauntered into the living room where I assumed Ethan would still be.

I was right; he hadn't changed positions at all. Sitting there on the couch, his feet up on the gaudy footstool with his laptop perched on his lap, tortoise-patterned glasses framing his face, and furiously typing on the keyboard.