Let's get out of this town

The bottle lay on the living room floor with the red wine forming a large stain on the carpet. I lay almost passed out on the sofa with the glass empty in my hand.

"You are a disgrace to my name! Your last movie was a disaster and no one wants to invite you to their parties because of your heavy drinking! Is this how you please your husband?" Laurence was shouting as he gestured widely with his hands. My eyes were focusing on the stain a few steps away. One of my arms were hanging down the side of the sofa and I felt how I slowly let go of it to give it a soft landing on the carpet.

"I should have taught you long ago how to please a husband. A young rising beauty. How could I be so blind as to marry you!" His voice echoed far away in my mind.

I did my best to apply powder on the bruises on my left cheek and put on the sun glasses to hide my eyes. Then I applied my red lipstick carefully before walking out to meet Laurence by the car. He took a firm grip around my wrist as he helped me into the front seat. I had a meeting about a new movie and Laurence wanted to be part of it to make sure I wouldn't make any new scandals.

I had married Laurence four years ago. I was new in Hollywood and he was my agent. It had not taken long before he proposed. As a young girl in a new city, I couldn't refuse him. It didn't take long before he showed me his true colours. He controlled my career and my life. I had turned to alcohol and parties to hide my feelings, which only made him more furious and angry. My acting became worse and my behavior at parties had made my reputation drop.

We arrived at the office and Laurence led me into the large building. I smiled at everyone I met even though I felt the bruise sting underneath the make up.

"You stay quiet. This is a chance for you to get your reputation back. They want to send you to Africa for a few months and I think it would be good for you. Get away from the crowds and the paparazzis. No parties and galas." He hugged my arm tightly as he lead me to the meeting room.

"June Harlow is not a name with the same glory as it was a year ago. This movie is set to become a masterpiece. We expect Oscars and golden globes. If you accept this role, we need you to be a hundred precent committed. We can not accept scandals or unprofessional actors or actresses." The leader at the meeting handed over a paper with a dotted line at the bottom.

I looked at Laurence who hugged my leg tightly with his hand which almost made me flinch. I smiled at the man opposite me and grabbed the pen next to me to sign the paper.

"We are happy to have you aboard. You will have a bungalow set for you and we look forward to see you on the set in two weeks." The man said and walked up to shake my hand. Laurence shook it first and explained how happy he was on my behalf. This would be a great change for me and my future he thought.

Two weeks later, Laurence drove me to the airport to send me away to Africa. The production team would welcome me at the arrival and help me to my accommodations where I would stay for at least three months during filming. Laurence followed me to the plane and gave me a kiss and tight hug around my wrist before he let go of me. I grabbed my few bags and walked up the stairs to the plane. I stopped at the top and looked around to look at him one last time. Journalists were standing further away and the flashes were going crazy. I gave them a wave and then looked at Laurence one last time before leaving him and Hollywood behind for a few months.

The warm air hit my face like a wall as I stepped out of the plane. The strong sunlight had made me use both my sunglasses and a hat. The air had a different scent and everywhere I looked was a blue sky and red ground. The production team met me as promised and drove me in a jeep to the area set up for us outside of town. I was given a bungalow with white fabrics hanging at the doors and windows to prevent too many insects from getting inside. I put my bags on top of the bed and took off my large hat. I breathed in the silence and smiled at the feeling of being alone, away from Laurence, away from my house and away from the busy crowds.