Chapter Twenty-One

Qui Gon knew they were running low on food. Their resources were nearly depleted. In fact, he knew he wouldn't be able to stall their travels much longer. Sooner or later, they would need to replenish their resources.

They needed to do it soon.

The Jedi master pulled aside his padawan, taking advantage of the early morning; Satine had not woken yet. He kept his voice low, loud enough to be heard, but still enough to let the Duchess rest. "We're low on food and water," he said. "We must replenish our inventory."

Obi Wan nodded. "I know. Our food's all but gone, and there's no water anymore." He paused a moment. "And the pack's considerably lighter. I fear we're nearly out of medical supplies."

"I do not intend on having a need for treating injuries," Jinn replied. "Though you are right."

"How do you want to go about this?" the young padawan asked. "We could travel as a group. But if we do that, then we'll collect our materials much slower than if we were to split up."

"No, we can't afford to lose time. I sense an enemy trailing us now, they're far too close for my liking." The Jedi master paused. "We'll split into groups. I will go alone to get water and search for medical supplies. You take the Duchess and find food."

"You trust me with Satine?"

"With the Duchess, yes," he said. "I trust you can protect her, and she will keep you company. Besides," he stood up. "Maybe she can help you if you're attacked."

Obi Wan laughed, though the joke hung in the air almost like a possible reality. One neither of them wished to endure. "Not likely. You know she's a pacifist, master. She'll not hurt anything."

"Maybe she'd make an exception for you." He grinned.

"Are you implying she likes me?" Obi Wan asked, truing hard to suppress the blush of color in his cheeks.

"Only to lighten your mood," Qui Gon said. He grabbed the pack and the water flask. "I'm off. Once the Duchess wakes, head out in search of food. We'll need a week's rations, at most. If you find more, bring more. If there's little to find, grab what you can. Meet me back at this camp by sundown."

Just as the Jedi master turned to leave, Obi Wan called after him. "Master?" He turned. "What would we do, should something... happen? What then?"

"I pray nothing of the sort comes to be." With that, he was gone.

Obi Wan sat close to the small fire, waiting for the duchess to wake up. His Master's words rung in the air, wracking his brain. He knew he shouldn't worry, that he had the force to rely on, to help him, but still, something felt wrong about the whole thing. Something...

It didn't take long before she started to stretch, sitting up from the hard rock. She yawned before taking a look at the padawan in front of her, noticing him staring at her. "Were you watching me sleep?" she asked, a harsh undertone present in her voice.

"Wha- no! No, I would never...." Obi Wan trails off. "No, I was waiting for you to get up. Master wants us to collect rations for the coming weeks. We'll be traveling again soon."

"Oh, we're finally moving again?" she asked.

"What, you don't like it here?" Obi Wan teased, standing up and extending a hand to help Satine. She slapped it away.

"Hardly," she said, getting up on her own. "Now, come on. You've been up longer than me, so don't slow me down."

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock."

"Oh, please, there are no sides," Satine said, punching him playfully as they started to talk into the thick morning air. She started walking forward before turning, noticing no one following her. "What are you waiting for?"

"Your attention," he said. "Do you even know what we're doing?"

"I know enough," she said. "Food. We need more food, so let's go get some, then." She began to talk, and Obi Wan reluctantly followed.

"So you heard-" she stops him.

"Yes, I heard your question, Obi." Question? Obi Wan seemed to relax slightly, letting himself release the tension he was holding across his shoulders. If she hadn't heard his Master's joke, she didn't have to know. That's all it was, anyway. A joke.

Then again, now she would know he was worried.

"So, you really think we'll get attacked just looking for food?" Satine asked him.

"No," Obi Wan retorted back. "I was being careful." He hoped she was convinced, but the look she shot back at him told him she didn't buy it. "We'll be fine."

"I hope you're right," she said. Obi One nodded, though she couldn't see since he was behind her. He started leading her deep into the forest as the two scavenged for food.

So far, they had found nothing, and as they neared an hour of searching, their situation began to feel hopeless.

---

fluff next chapter :)