10- Rebels

As the dust cleared, I looed around. Suddenly, a strong arm wrapped around my neck, choking me. I looked around and saw that dust was obscuring my vision. My captor was wearing a mask, thus enabling him access to sight. He begun to drag me toward the exit. I desperately tried to free myself, hitting him in different areas of the body, none affected him. My vision was turning blue, my lungs constricting.

A jolt like lightning went through the man behind me and he fell around six feet back. A strong pair of arms prevented me from falling. I looked up to see a boy in a guards uniform, about my age, holding a gun with his free hand.

BANG. BANG. BANG.

The Rebel thudded to the floor as the boy looked at me with tender blue eyes and set me on the ground.

"Lady Annabeth, are you alright?" He questioned in a deep gravelly voice, so similar to Luke's.

"Yes." I breathed out as the guy gently grabbed my arm and began to lead toward the exit.

"I'm Prince Jason Grace, son of Zues. Not an enemy." he said, and I felt myself grow less stiff in his grip. Didn't know I was doing that.

"Has everyone else left?" I asked him, and Jason nodded.

"Affirmative miss. I came here to evacuate you. All of the Selected but Kelp-, the royal family have also escaped. My team in still working on finding the scoundrels." He informed.

A large boom sounded from the exit, sealing it effectively. Jason cursed under his breath. His eyes momentarily fixated on someone else and he let my arm go slack. Jason nodded and sprinted into the dust and rubble again.

"Lady Annabeth!" The urgent voice caught my attention. Leo was suddenly standing next to me, pointing his gun in every direction he could. Oh, so that's why Prince Jason left.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"Rebels. A whole band. Prince Sparky has dispatched all units. I have to get you to the safe rooms in the Palace." Leo stated, offering me his small hand.

"Percy. Is he alright?" I asked him urgently. I didn't know why, but Percy's safety was the only thing on my mind.

"I don't know." Leo admitted. "Jason's in charge of his security, that's why he left. Percy still hasn't been spotted. "

I took his hand. The lights were off and Leo dragged me toward a different exit. Somehow, he could make his way through the dust and debris while gunshots echoed, causing my ears to ring. The dark seemed even scarier than usual. Every moment, I felt like someone would pop out from the shadows and shoot me.

We stopped at the stairwell, a man was pointing a gun at us. The bullet whipped through the air. Leo grabbed my side and threw himself on the floor. As a reflex action, he shot.

The Rebel's body thudded to the floor. I gulped. A man had just died before my eyes. Leo ushered me into a corner from where he turned and began to run again, dragging me in his wake. A male scream sounded from somewhere to our left. Leo stopped dead in his tracks. I felt his hand go cold in mine.

"Connor." he whispered.

"Officer Valdez. What's the matter?" Percy appeared from the dark, holding a flashlight. I sighed I relief to see that Percy was alive.

"Percy, it's Connor. He's in trouble." Leo worriedly informed the Prince.

"Go, I'll take Annabeth with me." I felt Leo's hand leave mine and a larger, warmer one clasp it.

"No," Leo said. "I'm not leaving you two alone."

"Leo, I know you better than this. You know duty isn't half as important as our friend's life. Help him, we'll be fine." Percy said sternly.

"But-"

"It's an order."

Leo stuck out his tounge at Percy and sprinted back into the direction of the auditorium. My fear vanished as Percy warmly wrapped his arm around my shoulders and led me up a steep hallway. He stopped near a large portrait of the Royal family.

"I'll lift you on my shoulders and you need to press my eye on the portrait." he ordered.

I yielded to the odd request as I perched myself on Percy's shoulders. I stood shakily, and Percy firmly held onto my legs.

I reached up and pressed my thumb on the sea green eyeball on the painting. The portrait swung in and left a two foot tall gaping hole in the wall.

"Get in." Percy grumbled from beneath.

I scrambled and managed to make it into the tunnel.

Percy's slender hands gripped the concrete as I heard a few gunshots. I desperately hoped that Piper, Reyna and my maids were alright.

"Crawl." Percy muttered, pulling himself in the hole as well. My knees scraped against cold concrete surface as I saw dim light coming from the other end of the tunnel. I heard Percy scurrying behind me as the sound of the portrait closing echoed around the tunnel.

I dropped down from the tunnel, it was around two feet above the ground, so I landed rather gracefully. The room we had just entered was big, and the walls were covered in white soundproof foam. There were beds and and benches on the sides of the otherwise empty space. I glanced back to see how far Percy had come. There was a distinct sound of panting as he made it into my view. He seemed tired as he attempted to enter. His foot slipped and he landed face first.

My breathing hitched. Percy wasn't wearing his jacket, just his dress shirt, which was soaked in blood.