30. The Last Night

Melissa walked along the deserted beach. She had woken early and emerged from her tent to find everyone else was still asleep.

Her head ached slightly with the hangover from last night. She'd looked through her bag and taken two paracetemol, then decided to head down the cliff path and have a walk on the beach.  Maybe the fresh sea air would help her headache.

She had left a note for the others underneath a bottle of water on the camping table so they'd know where she had gone.

It was so peaceful here. There was not a soul in sight, just her and the seagulls. She bent down and slipped her sandals off, rolled her leggings up and headed towards the surf to have a paddle. She flinched at the initial coldness of the water but she persevered and soon became used to it.

Walking along parallel to the shore, she finally stopped when she reached a cluster of rocks. She sat down on one and stared out to sea, reflecting on the past few months since she had moved back from Manchester.

She still couldn't believe a man like Seb was interested in her. He really was an amazing man. Not just as a driver but as a human being. She was so happy that he had come along on this trip. She was going to miss him once it was over.

Tonight was their last night on the island, they were going home in the morning. Everyone was talking about going out for dinner tonight to mark the last night.

A movement caught Melissa's eye and she turned her head to see a figure walking down the beach towards her. As the figure got closer she realised who it was and smiled.

"Good morning," she called out.

"Morning chick, how's the head? You had quite a bit last night," answered her best friend. She gave Joel the thumbs up. He sat besides her on the rocks.

"It's getting there. It was thumping when I first woke up. Everyone else still asleep?" she asked him.

"Sophie's up but no one else is yet. It was quite a late one for those of us that can handle their drink," he joked. "So, the next few weeks are going to be fun, not," he said, referring to the upcoming house move.

"It will be worth it in the end. It might take my mind off missing Seb though."

"Awww. Time will fly Melissa, it will soon be Spa and you'll have him back."

"This week has been so good. I know you guys have been here but in a way I had him to myself. No Antti, no Britta, no Otmar, no media. We could be just us, you know what I mean?" Joel nodded.

"The thing is Melissa, if you want a future with Seb you're going to have to put up with those things. It's a big part of who he is." Melissa gave a big sigh.

"I know. I don't know what to do J. I really, really like him. I just don't want all the shit from his fans. You know what they can be like, they'll be saying I'm not good enough for him and so on. I've seen the hate some of the other driver's girlfriends get. In a way I can see why Daniel doesn't want that for Sophie.  I'm
also still scared about getting into a relationship because of the past. I know he's not Adam, but it is daunting."

"You need to be straight with him Melissa. He deserves that. He should be the one you are telling this to, not me."

"Yeah, you're right, as usual."

"I know I am. So, sort your shit out girl. Now come here and give me a hug." She leant over into his arms and he folded them around her.

They sat in silence for several minutes, the seagulls squawking overhead. Finally Joel let her go and stood up. He held out his hand to pull her up.