chapter forty-five

A huge explosion came from the other side of the wall. The Colossal Titan must have transformed.

The sound of it distracted you for a second, making you almost fly straight into a Titan. Luckily, you quickly grabbed your blades and sliced its nape.

You looked around for Levi and saw him near a small bell tower ahead of you.

"Levi!" you called out.

He turned around and you could see relief in his eyes. All the Titan blood had evaporated off him, and you could see his face clearly.

"I just killed the last of them. The only ones left are the small ones at the front," you told him, landing a few feet away on a roof that was next to him.

Another soldier landed next to you. His face was familiar to you, but you didn't know his name.

"How do we take down the Beast Titan? He seems perfectly content sitting over there. He hasn't moved an inch," the soldier said, looking over all the Titans in the distance.

"Yeah, it seems he's a coward," Levi remarked. "Not like he ever had balls to begin with."

"You should take a break. We'll take out the rest," he said, giving Levi a reassuring nod.

After that, he took a small group of soldiers with him and headed towards the rest of the Titans at the front.

"What do you think that explosion was?" he asked. "I hope Hange and the others are okay. We just need to get to that side and-"

The look on Levi's face made you whip your head towards the Beast Titan, but your sight of him was blocked by incoming boulders, making your heart drop.

You ducked and narrowly missed a boulder that flew over your head. Letting out a groan of frustration, you looked over at Levi. He looked horrified.

Blood and debris flew into the air; the screams of your comrades echoing throughout your ears.

"Shit!" Levi shouted, taking off into the air, with you right behind him.

From what you could see, the Beast Titan picked up another huge boulder, crushing it in his hands. Your eyes widened and you looked at Levi. He seemed to react just a split second too late.

With all your strength, you pushed him down to the ground, behind a house. Your hands cushioned his head from the fall.

Before you knew it, more boulders came flying over your head, but you didn't move. You heard Levi's breath hitch and in one swift movement, he was hovering over you, protecting your body from the incoming boulders.

More screams and shrieks of pain could be heard from all around you. The sound of it making a lump form in your throat. You pushed it down. Now was not the time to cry.

After a few minutes, everything eventually died down and Levi pulled away from you.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his eyes looking all over your body for any sign of injuries.

You nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. What about you?"

He sighed. "Yeah... Now let's go. We have to warn the other troops about the possibility of more incoming boulders."

You nodded and stood up. Your hooks shot into the house next to you and you made your way to where the horses were.

"The Titan's throwing boulders!" Levi shouted once you reached the remaining cadets.

"Captain Levi!" Marlo looked relieved to see you and Levi.

"All of you, retreat to the wall with the horses!" You looked over all of them, seeing worry and confusion written on their faces.