through storm and rain

Jay knew that this moment was a gift. A precious treasure was given to him by the being of creation, the first spinjitzu master himself. It made him feel absolutely over the moon with joy.

But also annoyed, very annoyed. Come on, baby, be born already!

His impatience was shared by his wife, especially since Nya was the one carrying the kicking, fussy thing in her body. They both were suffering physically and emotionally from the stress of pre-birth but Nya had just about had it. Jay wasn't liking how she looked at their kitchen knives with a sense of longing. It was as if she wanted to carve the child out like her belly was a pumpkin.

There were pluses of course. Quiet evenings to themselves where they'd just sit on the couch, fantasizing about their little baby, imaging what it will be like when they finally get to look upon their child, painting the nursery and having teasing debates over the decor, staring in awe at the computer after getting an ultrasound, and of course cutting into the cake and seeing blue-dyed batter inside.

Along with all those peaceful, amazing memories were the horrible ones. Arguing over nonsense, having to watch his wife retch over the toilet and not being able to do anything, watching as she ate shrimp in ice cream.

"We should talk about names," Nya said at last. They had been sulking miserably in the living room after they learned that the baby decided to take after his father and be a week late. Nya had tried to match up to the doctors and demand they get the child out of her but no Bueno.

Jay tilted his head in confusion. He had tried bringing the topic up a few times but Nya had been in a bad mood and practically bit his head off. "What were you thinking?"

"Hm..." Nya paused to mull it over. "Joey?"

Jay made a face. "I had a bully named Joey."

"Really?" Nya snickered. "A little baby kangaroo?"

Jay snorted. "He could kick like one. I swear, he was the scariest person I've ever met- including Lord Garmadon!"

"Okay..." Nya hummed and tenderly places a hand on her baby bump. "Kaiden?"

"It has Kai's name in it but if you want to listen to him brag for weeks I'm all for it." Jay teased. "Benjamin?"

"Benjamin? Oh, come on, Jay. You can do better than that!" An obnoxious voice cut in. Nya scowled and craned her neck to see her brother traipsing into their kitchen like he owned the place.

Jay narrowed his eyes at the fire ninja. "It's a good name!"

Kai rolled his eyes and reached in the fridge to root around for something to eat. "It's basic."

"It's a classic!" Jay shot back. "Wait a minute- how'd you get in here anyway?"

He jingled a key ring with a little fire ninja on it with a smirk. "I still have your spare key from when you left for your honeymoon, zap-trap."

"So you just walk in here?" Nya asked incredulously.

"Well I knock but if you don't answer I let myself in." Kai shrugged, guzzling some ginger ale he found in the fridge and hopping on the couch. "You know what's a good name? Kai."

Jay gave him a perturbed look as his friend sidled his way in between the couple. He shuffled to make room with a huff. "How did you choose names?"

"I dunno. I chose one, Isla thought it was stupid, she chose two, and then we used them." Kai said simply.

Nya snorted with an amused look to her brother. "That sounds about right."

Jay pouted. "But I want to be apart of the naming process!" He whined.