chapter 1

As I trudged through the trees trying to find the deer I had just saw, I reached down and picked up a couple of leaves as my mother had taught me and rustled them together a few times. Instead of seeing the deer I was trying to hunt I saw a tall man walking towards me. I didn't recognise him. I reached behind and grabbed an arrow from my back; of course, I knew I would never release the arrow but threatening to, might be enough to scare someone off. As I pulled back the arrow getting ready to 'shoot', he said...

"Stop! I'm not going to hurt you"

I was hesitant to put down my bow but I did slowly. The man was much closer to me now his figure looming over mine, I was normal height for my age which, in this case, made me feel frightened and small. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I didn't know this man but one thing I did know was that you can't trust everyone you meet for all you know they could be hiding a secret that is life threatening.

"Do you know a girl named Katniss Everdeen?"  he asked me, bringing me back to my senses.

I studied his face, wondering if he was trustworthy and with careful words said

"Don't you mean Katniss Mellark? Because that's my mother..."

The man lowered his head, he looked disappointed, but he hid it well, the only way I could tell was in his eyes, they glistened with a hint of sadness, but I couldn't tell why. From behind me I could hear footsteps revealing themselves from the trees and I instantly recognised them as my fathers and Rye's.

"Willow! Where are you?"  my father called out.

Before I could answer my Dad came up beside me and said

"There you are! Don't run off like..." 

He didn't finish his sentence. I pause confused and look at what my dad has seen to cause him to stop.

"Gale..." he said in a tone that was indescribable, he sounded neither happy nor sad, just shocked.

The man (who I assume was called Gale) opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted. My mother called out from the mass of trees,

"Willow! Where have you gone?" suddenly, she noticed us and exclaimed "Thank god, I thought we had..."

Just like my father, she never finished her sentence. She noticed to man we were talking to. Her expression changed to shock...

"Gale..."

Silence.