Chapter 18

"Laurent," Bella quietly said, and he vamped closer.

"I didn't expect to find you here. I went to visit the Cullen's, but the house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs? Along with that angel?" He asked. I decided I would go down there. I didn't like the way he was slowly circling her. I undid the cloak then I landed in front of her with my head and wings high.

"Oh, there she is," he smirked, and I smiled politely.

"I heard you ask about me so I thought I'd come to say hello. And we are no one's pets," I said, referring to Bella and I. I relaxed my wings so as not to appear like a threat, but I kept them out.

"What are you doing here Evangeline? Were you following me?" She asked. She went around my right wing and stood in front of me at an angle so she could still she Laurent a little.

"Yes I was. We might not be on good terms again, but, you are my sister and I will protect you," I told her, glancing at her but not fully taking my eyes off of him.

"Do the Cullen's visit often?" He asked, and Bella turned fully to him. I felt her mood shift and heard a little heart jump and she gasped.

"Yeah, absolutely, all the time," she must be seeing Edward, she only gets this way when she does.

"I'll tell them that you stopped by. But I probably shouldn't tell Edward," she cleared her throat, it was hard for her to say his name. While she spoke he was still circling us. We were moving too so our backs were never to him.

"'Cause he's pretty protective," she finished, and I quickly connected to the pack showing them what was happening.

"Yes, and the whole Olympia Clan is pretty protective over me as well, even though I am very capable of taking care of myself. I took care of James pretty well if I remember right," I said, and he glared at me taking a deep breath then put his act back on.

"But they're all far away, aren't they?" He asked and I glared back.

"Why are you here?" Bella asked, and I glanced at her. she needed to get behind me.

"I came as a favor to Victoria," he replied, and I moved in front of Bella, ready to attack if need be.

"Victoria?" Bella asked. I wish I would have told her that she's been here once or twice.

"She asked me to see if you were still under the protection of the Cullen's and the angel. Victoria feels it's only fair to kill Edward's mate, given he killed hers. An eye for an eye," he said moving closer now.

"I was the one to kill James, yet I can not be killed. You both are wasting your time," I stood straighter with my head held higher. He couldn't do anything to me. Although last time I took on a cold one by myself it was really Celio in charge, but I have been practicing a lot, I'm sure I can do it in control this time.

"Edward would know who did it. And he'd come after you," Bella spoke up, stopping Laurent from giving me a response.

"I don't think he will. After all, how much could you mean to him, if he left you here unprotected?"

"You keep saying that, but I am standing right here." I said, reaching up into the air and my halo weapon appeared. He started laughing. I could feel the wolves moving closer but Laurent could attack at any moment.

"You are still a young angel. I could take you easily, James was young and reckless compared to me. Victoria won't be happy about my killing you both, but I can't help myself. You are so mouth-watering. And those who bring the wings of an angel to the Voltari get a reward and I do love rewards."

"Please don't. I mean, you helped us," Bella said, shaking a little. Next thing I knew, Laurent was right in front of us. I went to slash him, but he grabbed my wrist and twisted it so hard and fast that my bone snapped. I cried out, going to punch him with my other hand, but he grabbed it and broke it as well. oh no Jake! he can feel my pain! I headbutted him, and he stumbled back, releasing my arms. They quickly healed. I grabbed the weapon of the ground with lighting speed. I can't get hurt anymore for Jake sake.

"Bella run!" I screamed at her as I slashed his torso, kicked his legs from under him, and held my blade to his throat. As he kneeled in front of me, I smirked until he grabbed my blade, ripping it out of my grasp and throwing it across the field. He tackled me at the waist, pushing me into the ground. He picked me up and threw me across the field, all in the matter of 5 seconds.

"Sh, sh, sh. Don't be afraid. I'm doing you a kindness. Victoria plans on killing you slowly, painfully; whereas I'll make it quick. I promise. You will feel nothing," he said to Bella. He took a step back with his hand raised, but I stood and used the wind to lift him up and bring him to me.

"You shouldn't make promises you can't keep," I said, blasting him in the air and making a lighten blot strike him, before running to Bella.

"Bella!" I screamed out. Even though I heard his skin crack at the blast he didn't die. He ran behind me and grabbed my wing pulling me down. He stood with his hand on my throat and wing. I went to fight out of it, but I heard twigs snapping, growling, and a long ding in my head. I smirked and started laughing.

"You're in real trouble now," I said. His grip loosened as we all looked to the right.

"I don't believe it," he whispered, fear and disbelief in his voice as the all black wolf, who had blended perfectly in with the trees, walked out baring his teeth and growling, with his ears down. I disconnected the link, knowing they were here. He stopped a couple feet away and planted his paws in the ground standing taller, showing off his full size.

"Better believe it. I suggest letting me go now," As I said that, the other four came out the tree line. I looked at Jake's russet fur, relief filling me. My wings matched, proving even more that he is my fated.

Sam crouched and snapped at Laurent letting out a monster's roar, snarling, and getting ready to charge. Laurent let go and turned to run.

'Duck' Sam's dark voice popped in my head and I quickly curled up, making my wings disappear. I felt the rush of air and fur brush over me as Sam jumped, running after the vampire. I looked up just as Jared, Embry and Paul pushed off the ground, running with their alpha. Jake quickly came to me, pushing me up gently, and looking me over, with a little purring sound. I smiled, getting up and nodded as a way of telling him I'm good.

"Go get him," I said, and he snarled, rushing past me. I watched with a proud smile as my boys ran across the field after Laurent, growls and snarls as they were filled with anger. My smile dropped and my eyes widened as Laurent stopped back handing Sam. Sam came flying back to us while whelping, and I gasped.

'Sam!' I yelled out in the link, but he only got up growling and running off again with a shake of his head. Bella gasped, took my wrist, and started running out the field. What is she doing?! I have to go help kill Laurent!

'No! Get out of here!' Jake's voice yelled at me, and I flinched, it louder even in my head. I kept running with Bella in the direction of the house but kept the link open in the back of my mind, so I could see and hear everything going on in the fight.

"Those were giant wolves!! How were you not scared?! You even talked to one, are you crazy?!" Bella yelled at me as we ran. I kept quiet, so much worry for Jake and the pack flowing through me. I was also restraining myself from going back and helping rip Laurent to pieces.

~This was a fun chapter to write! Happy reading!~