№.25 :: Salvation

Chapter Twenty-Five 

At Orochimaru's Hideout ~ Location Unknown

Shimmering ripples of moonlight entered through the glass double doors that slide apart to access the wide terrain of the forest. The silence weighed down on Sasuke's shoulders with a deadly force, his emotionless eyes staring up at the ceiling above. He lay down on the mat that had been provided for his comfort, but sleep never came and Sasuke spent endless nights lost in his thoughts. He heard the pounding of his blood in his veins, heard the soft breaths that slipped through his lips. Sasuke felt like a completely different person ever since he left the Leaf Village, but only one thing remained the same...the ache that attacked his heart whenever Serenity wandered into his thoughts. Placing his arms behind his head, Sasuke sighed into the darkness. Weeks have gone by with such haste that Sasuke couldn't believe that he still felt this way for the kunoichi princess. Turning his head towards the sliding door, the moonlight flooded onto his face. Sasuke's Sharingan eyes glowed alongside the eerie light, a dead emotion lingering within its depths. He had grown to hide his feelings for Serenity from Orochimaru, but it was getting harder to deny his love with each passing day. Sasuke sensed chakra off in the distance, a passive look dominating his features as narrowed eyes focused on the door. A knock echoed throughout the small room, Sasuke's reticent answer good enough for the visitor's entrance. Another source of light illuminated Sasuke's quarters as the door opened with slight ease. "What do you want now?"

A smirk pulled at Kabuto's lips as he stood at the doorway, his silvery gaze watching the youngest Uchiha with glee. Sasuke's gaze narrowed; he never liked the expression that the rogue healer would give him. It made Sasuke feel like something was going on and he had no clue what it could be. "Lord Orochimaru requests your presence. He would like to speak to you about a private matter at this very moment." Kabuto spoke in a low voice as he moved into Sasuke's room. The youngest Uchiha stared up from the comfort of his mat; just when he was getting ready to fall back into his thoughts, he had to be interrupted by nonsense. Sasuke remained motionless as the moonlight brightened his Sharingan eyes. Slowly, but surely, Sasuke sat up on his mat, his gaze never wavering from Kabuto's smirk. The Uchiha's gaze narrowed on Kabuto as he stood up with the soft cracking of his bones. Kabuto pushed his glasses up the bridge of nose with his index finger, crossing his arms over his chest as Sasuke passed him. Sasuke was alone as he entered the darkened hallway, Kabuto remaining in his room. It seemed that Orochimaru wanted to speak to him alone. But Sasuke didn't need to be reminded about Orochimaru's intentions; the Sannin planned on capturing Serenity. And the image of Serenity being harmed by Orochimaru caused anger to flow through his veins. Ever since he arrived at Orochimaru's hideout, Sasuke tried to block Serenity from his mind, but all that that accomplished was his longing and desire to grow stronger.

Sasuke's silent footsteps vibrated off the stone walls, the light radiating from the torches causing shadows to dance across his features. He shoved his hands deeper into his pockets, keeping his gaze strictly ahead of him. It was only a matter of time that the maze of hallways would lead him to Orochimaru's office. Sasuke stood before the grand double doors, lingering for a few moments. He didn't want to speak to Orochimaru at the moment because Sasuke knew what the conversation would be about. Orochimaru wanted to inform him on his intentions to capture Serenity and the last thing that Sasuke wanted to do was hurt the kunoichi princess. He brought his closed fist down upon the oak doors, the knock vibrating loudly throughout the hallway. The echoes died off into pure silence and Sasuke was left listening to his speeding heartbeat. Sasuke stood lingering on the spot, waiting for some kind of response. "Enter..." That one word was a power force as the hissing voice of Orochimaru sounded through the door. Sasuke did as he was told, opening the door and entering the darkened room. He blinked rapidly as his eyes adjusted to the darkness pressed against him. A dimly lit light swayed above Orochimaru, making the smirk tugging at his lips even more eerie. Sasuke stared at the man who promised him the power to defeat his older brother without any emotion. The youngest of the Uchiha Clan learned at an early age that a shinobi should never express feeling.