Chapter 4

Long before they met
Derek and Odette
Were destined to be wedded
However, anyone could see
The only point on which they didn't disagree
Was that the very thought of summertime
Was dreaded

– “This is my Idea” from the Swan Princess

Chapter 4

            The fourth time I saw him, I was sure I hated him. We did not get along at all for the rest of the previous meeting. We got into fights frequently. My brothers had to insist all four of us do stuff together as a group. It was the only way I lasted the three weeks. The next two years were full of pain. In 1995, the Packers actually won the division and got all the way to the NFC Championship but lost to the Cowboys. Brett Favre was named MVP along with achieving a bunch of other accomplishments. Everyone in Wisconsin was going crazy over him, and he was infamous in Minnesota. He was already one of the best quarterbacks in the game.

            The next season was what sealed the fate of both teams and their opinions of Brett Favre for, what I thought would be, forever. The Packers won the division again, but what was worse, they won the Super Bowl, Brett winning MVP again. Both Wisconsin and Minnesota went crazy. No one could talk about anything else. Everyone around me had an opinion on Brett Favre. He was either strongly hated or strongly loved. I had never seen any team obsess over a player like the Packers did over Brett Favre. I couldn’t even go into Wisconsin without seeing something related to him. He was like a god. I understood why, but I hated him for it. He had caused my team’s destruction.

            Needless to say, I was not anxious to spend three weeks with him when I was 12-years-old. I was sick of him. I knew he wasn’t too fond of me either. Why keep pretending that this marriage thing could ever possibly work out? But my aunt refused to give up. In fact, she supported it all the more. She seemed to think we would grow on each other. I thought she was dead wrong, but I only had two more visits after this one, so I went.

            Doug and Chris had to practically push me over to Brett in the courtyard. He was wearing a Super Bowl XXXI shirt and hat and green and gold beads. His grin was even bigger than ever. He was speaking before I even reached him. “What do you think now, princess?”

            My eyes were narrowed as I glared at him. “Don’t call me that. You don’t want to know what I’m thinking,” I said threateningly. My brothers took several steps back. I could tell they did not want to be involved in this conversation.

            Brett chuckled. “Aw, don’t be a sore loser. We won fairly. We had one of our best seasons. We were undefeatable at home, which has not happened since 1962. In the playoffs, we outscored our opponents 100-48. We deserved to win.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I’m not denying that. It’s not the point. The Packers would never have become so great without you.”

            Brett smiled. “Thank you.”

            I frowned. “It was not a compliment. Everyone in Minnesota hates you.”

            Brett shrugged. “I know. And everyone in Wisconsin loves me.”

            “Yeah, it’s disgusting,” I spat.

            Brett smirked. “Y’all are just jealous. You wish you had gone after me instead of the Packers.”

            My eyes widened. “No way!” I exclaimed.

            “I think so,” Brett insisted. “I think you wish I would join you now. I believe the Vikings would welcome me with open arms.”