Chapter 16

The water begins to get cold and Sonic reaches over to turn on more hot water. I can see a stifled grin when he puts his arm back around me.

"What?" I wonder.

"Hmm?"

"What was that look?"

"Just thinking."

I don't ask. I'm also lost in thought. I think I've seen this scene somewhere before. In a movie or something.

His voice rings through the room. "You remember when we saw Casino Royale?"

That's it. My lips curl up in a smile. "Yeah. I was just thinking about that."

My head jostles as he laughs. "I was afraid you wouldn't admit it."

"Admit what?"

"That you remember seeing that movie with me. Pretty sure you wanted to block out all our dorky days."

I swallow hard. "I don't want to block them out."

"Could've fooled me."

I sigh, and try to lighten the conversation. "This isn't exactly like James Bond."

"Yeah, the girl wasn't wasted."

"And the guy had just killed about twenty people."

"And you're trying to wash off dirt, not blood."

My forehead crinkles. "Huh?"

"That's what you keep saying. You can't get the dirt off."

"Oh."

He doesn't say anything else. He lets me cuddle into him, and I realize, even in my incoherent state, I really like it here.

x.X.x

My mouth is full of cotton balls. My nose burns with the smell of cologne. My head feels like it's going to fall off, and I kind of hope it does.

What the hell happened last night?

I open my eyes, but things are still dark. My face is stuffed in a pillow. A pillow that smells amazing and it makes my heart grow little wings and flutter around my chest.

Groaning, I push my nose farther into the feathers. I make those embarrassing noises, and I quickly sit up to rid myself of the intoxicating aroma.

Ouch.

"Here," a voice says from the edge of the bed, "take this."

Warm fingers open my hand up and something cold drops in the center of my palm. Wait a second. I'm not taking drugs from a stranger.

I flick my eyes open and they land on Sonic's. He's not smiling, but it doesn't look like he's mad either.

Without any argument I pop the pills in my mouth and take the drink from his outstretched hand.

"Bleck." That is so not water. "What the freak is this?"

"Something that'll help the hangover," he says, tipping the glass back up to my lips. "It worked for my mom when..." His face reddens and he shakes his head, making his hair flop. "Just drink it."

My nose scrunches as I take another sip. You'd think I was chugging pig guts on Fear Factor.

"Uh..." Soni scratches the back of his neck, then digs in his pocket. He pulls out my cell. "You should probably call your parents."

How the heck did he get my phone? I reach down the top of my shirt, only half aware that I'm digging around my cleavage for something I know isn't there.