Epilogue

Ten years later

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Chloe opened the door to find three policemen outside her door. "Yes?"

The officer at the front holds up his badge. "Chicago PD. Chloe Washington?"

Chloe nodded, feeling her stomach being to churn.

"You are under arrested," the second police officer said. "For the murder of Asher Marlow and your mother, Idina Somers, twenty-five years ago. We just got a call from the New Jersey police department that a criminal had been residenting in our state for a long long time."

"I-I-I-"

"Don't speak mrs.Washington. Anything you say can be used against you," said the third officer fishing out handcuffs.

Lucas peeped out from the kitchen.

"Honey?"

"Lucas."

He was out in a flash.

"What are you doing?" He demanded. "Where are you taking my wife?"

"To the police station. There we will call the New Jersey PD and notify them that the person they're looking for has been caught, meanwhile, you Miss Washington are going to answer some questions. You didn't think because you guys left the state and years past meant that they would have forgotten about you. In fact the boy you shot years ago, father was most determine to ensure you got caught. We always get the bad guys. Or in this case woman," the first police officer said.

"Yeah, she's going away for a long time," said the second police officer.

"Don't say anything babe,"Lucas shouted. "Not until the lawyer comes."

He grabbed his coat and hat. "I'm following you guys with my car."

"Well of course," said the second police officer. "We've been looking for you too, Mr. Washington. Fools you both are, you didn't even bother to change your names. Ha!".

"Dad, what's going on?" Twenty-two-year-old Mary leaned over the banister. She had just woke up. Looking at the scene in front of her, she began to worry.

"Is mom in trouble?" Eighteen-year-old Cindy asked curiously when she saw her parents hadn't come back to the kitchen.

John came from the living room, looking like his father's twin. "Dad?"

"John, come with me," Lucas commanded as the cop car disappeared from the drive way. "Mary and Cindy, lock the doors. John are going to the police station." They nodded their head in unison. "We wouldn't long."

"But dad, why? Where is mom? What's happening?" Cindy observed.

"I'll explain when we get back. Meanwhile remember your mother and I love you very much. Don't matter one."

Lucas and John left the house, got into Lucas's land cruiser and started down the street.

Meanwhile, Chloe is sitting quietly in the back of the cop car. She sighed. She knew this would have happened one day. Was it silly that it still felt so soon, even after twenty-five years?
A tear rolled down her cheek? She hadn't even got to go to her children's wedding yet.

Or see her grandchildren.

This was all too soon.

Even though Chloe was mentally preparing herself for this day.

It still felt like too much.

She pictured her children's face when they learn what she had done. How will this affect them in life? A mother arrested for murder? Will they hate her?

With each bump the car went over on the road, Chloe was envisioning her life.

And her husband's.

And her children's.

Slowly falling apart.

So sobbing hard in the back of the cop car as she rested her head against the bars seperating the driver and the passenger seats from the rest of the car, she blamed the only person she could blame.

She hate only person she could hate.

And as she glanced in the rearview mirror.

It was like she saw his face staring back at her.

Smirking.

Mocking her.

Because he won.

He always did.

Even in death now.

She slumped back in her seat, as she thought of the young boy she knew twenty-five years ago.

The boy who started everything.

The boy she murdered.

And she said his name aloud, "Asher Marlow, I fucking hate you."

And just like that.

In a snap of a finger.

The darkness returned.