Double Date

"Please," I say. "You must help me out. That's what friends are for."

"To help you do what?" Annie glares at me through her glasses. "Live a lie?"

"It's just for one evening." I look around, seeking inspiration, something that would convince her. "And it's not a lie! I mean, you're my friend, and you're a girl, so there's nothing wrong with saying that you're my girlfriend."

"Josh, just tell him. He'll accept it. Your dad is pretty cool."

"Tell him?" The mere suggestion makes me jump out of my chair. "He's the no bullshit guy who drives a Harley and has tattoos all over him, remember? My teachers are afraid to give me bad grades because of him!"

She shrugs. "As I said, pretty cool."

I stop to stare at her. "You don't get it. He raised me alone. He's a manly man. The ultimate macho. It will break his heart if he finds out his only son is gay."

"But you can't hide it forever."

"Why not? Once I leave for college, he won't know who I date."

She runs her hand through her hair, looking thoughtful.

"He's bringing his new girlfriend to dinner for the first time," I press. "Daniela or something. He wanted you to be there, too, like a double date, so that he could introduce his girl and I'd introduce mine."

"So, you've already told him I'm your girlfriend?"

"A couple of months ago, yes."

Annoyance briefly flares up in her gaze before morphing into disbelief.

"Josh, you're nuts."

"My place at six?"

"Fine, you psycho." She sighs. "Don't expect me to kiss you or anything."

"No, no." I shake my head. "Holding hands, tops."

"Nuts," she says again.

"Casual clothing."

"Fine," she says, and I scoop her in my arms and plant a kiss on her cheek.

"You're the best," I say. "I really appreciate this."

"Let go," she grumbles. "I said, no kisses."

She's punctual as usual, and when the doorbell rings at six, I find her on the doorstep, clad in a flowery summer dress, her fair hair gathered in a bun that gives her a pretty chic look .

"You look awesome," I say.

She rolls her eyes and lets me lead her by the hand into the living room.

"Hello there!"

Dad comes out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on his apron that looks ridiculously tiny on his huge frame. He walks over to Annie, looming over her like a mountain, his biceps the size of her head.

"You must be Annie?"

"Yes." She allows him to take her hand, but instead of shaking it he brings it to his lips, and she giggles, surprised.

"So glad to meet you," he says. "Please, make yourself comfortable."

She sits down of our leather sofa, smoothing her dress on her knees. Dad looks at her admiringly.

"For how long you guys have been dating?" he says. "Josh doesn't tell me anything."

"You haven't told me about your Daniela until yesterday," I say, figuring an attack would be the best defense.

"Yeah." He nods slowly. "I should have, I know. But better late than never, I guess?"

The ring of the doorbell makes him jump, and then he hurries to open it. I glance at Annie, and then brace myself, wondering if I'm supposed to kiss Daniela's hand as well, if that's a thing now in their age group.

I hear approaching footsteps in the hall, and then Dad walks back in. He's followed by a tall, dark haired young man wearing a suit and holding a bottle of wine. He stops on the threshold and looks at me, smiling nervously.

"Marvin," says Dad. "I didn't know how to tell you, so I figured it'd be easier if you guys just met in person." He wraps a hand around the shoulders of the young man who leans into his embrace.

"This is Daniel," says Dad. "Daniel is my boyfriend."

Everything is quiet for a moment as I stand there, gaping at them, my mind blank.

Then, behind me, Annie begins to laugh.