Berry

When I was younger I had this cousin, we'll call her Nicole for privacy reasons. She claims to see all kinds of ghosts and demons. At the time I didn't believe her, but now...

It started back when I was around 7. I think Nicole was about 9 or 10. At the time my cousins always tried to scare me. Maybe I would have believed sooner if it hadn't been for that.

Where I live is basically in the middle of nowhere, so we used to walk the roads close by. My cousin and I used to joke about bringing a knife in case we found a crackhead along the way.

We were on our way back from one such walk. This specific walk was an excuse to get away from her little brother I think. In any case, we were close enough to my house that we could see it.

We were talking and she suddenly stopped talking and walking. She was staring into the woods with wide eyes. It was as if she saw something I couldn't.

After the pause she booked it back to my home. I assumed it was a game of some kind and followed.

At the end of the road, just across from my house, she explained. She told me that she saw a figure in the woods. She said it looked like it had a knife.

The second time we were accompanied by my step brother. I was maybe 11 or so. We were walking the same road, but a bit closer to my house.

This time my brother saw it too, but I still couldn't.

They got a better took at it this time, it was more in the light. They told me it had a coat with fluff lining the hood. It had hair down to it's shoulders. And the same knife.

But the most striking thing was a bunny mask. They said something about not getting a good enough look, but it looked kind of like a kids birthday party mask.

There were more sightings, but nothing too remarkable happened. Until 2 years later.

Nicole was over along with her younger siblings. Her brother was a bit younger than me and her sister was maybe 6.

She saw it just outside of my fence. She noted some strange colors. Such as the coat being red and and the mask being tan.

Her sister was frightening by our talk of the... Thing.... So we came up with a code name. Blackberry, but just Berry for short.

Yes, I've heard that you shouldn't give demons names, something about them latching themselves to you. But at the time we didn't think about that.

Now it's been years. Nicole has seen Berry here and there, but nothing too memorable. She used to theorize that Berry was an angel that was watching over her. But, from what I've seen that can't be it.

While in quarantine I spent most of my time in my house. Being 16 my parent's don't mind leaving me alone. The just remind me to lock the door and turn off the stove after using it. The only time I really stepped out was to let my dog, Patton, out in the yard.

He has a habit of going off and sleeping, so I often have to go out and yell for him to come inside. And I was doing just that.

After about the 3 time yelling for him I decided to slip on a pair of shoes and look for him. Perhaps he managed to get over the fence and couldn't get back in or something.

I walk around our yard. There was a sound that was strangely familiar. It was the sound of meat bring ripped apart. Did he managed to catch something?

I walk back behind our storage building and nearly vomit. There on the ground was Patton. He had been ripped open, and standing above him was Berry.

The mask my cousin had spoken of was pushed way from it's face. As far as I could tell it was a gas mask with bunny ears on it.

It was just as my cousin had described it. Red(actually more of a maroon) coat with tan fluff on the hood. Tan skin. Brown shoulder length hair.

But it's face.

It had yellow monster-ish teeth that seemed to make it impossible to speak. It's eyes were dead and cold, they matched the blood that ran down it's face.

I was frozen. I couldn't bring myself to move. It leaned down and moved it's finger through the dirt.

It moved over and let me look.

You want some?