• Chapter 3. Hitting the road

There isn't much I had so with only one bag, I hopped in the car to make things ready for my trip. The car itself was in good shape and shining brightly in the morning sun. The engine started smoothly and for the first time, I drove off towards the other side of the scrapyard to say goodbye to Jacob because I know I will never come back here. This would be the last time I would ever set foot in this scrapyard and town.

Jaco was already waiting for me and flashed me a weak smile as I came to a stop and cut off the engine. Hopping out,-- I approached him. "Thank you, for all the things you have done for me... and for believing in me..." I said quietly. He embraced me, "I wish you all the luck of the world, Skye..." he murmured before letting me go and handed me an envelope. "A little extra..."

"You don't have to..." Jacob cut me off. "Just take it and go... I want you to have it..." he said. A smile formed on my lips while I took the envelope. 'There is just one more thing..." he said and reached out of the old wooden table. Another envelope and handed it to me. "It's from your mother... she wanted you to have this..." he said. I frowned a bit. "uhm, thanks... where did you get this from?" I asked. "Your mother gave it to me... it's in the family for generations... on a cold Tuesday evening in October, she came to me and asked me if I could keep this... I was surprised but didn't ask any questions..."

"Ah... okay... thanks for giving me this then..."

Jacob smiled and I embraced him one more time before hopping in. "Thank you, Jacob..." he nodded. "Good luck, Skye..."

I flashed him a smile and shut the door, starting the engine of the Lamborghini Countach. My heartbeat increased as I drove towards the gate of the scrapyard for the last time in my life.

I looked in the rear mirror one more time to see Jacob before he vanished as I left the terrain and hit the road. I didn't like the silence so I turned on the radio and listened to some country songs. It's not my genre, but hearing someone's voice while driving made me less nervous about the whole situation.

I frowned as the radio suddenly switched from channel to channel. I hit the dashboard and heard the engine roar. As if the car was angry I hit him for no reason. Well, no reason, the radio is still not working at its best. The car jolted forward and I nearly slammed my head against the steering wheel. I felt like sitting on a wild horse, having no control at all. The radio stayed at the same channel again so I brushed off what happened.

Around the afternoon, I made a stop since the car was acting strange again. I came to a stop in the parking lot of a highway restaurant and cut off the engine before pulling on the handbrake. I could feel this evil and angry atmosphere that caused me to shiver. Jacob checked up the car as well this morning and nothing was wrong, everything was doing fine and now the car is acting like this. I gritted my teeth and stared at the symbol on the steering wheel, rubbing over it softly with my thumb. I have been staring at it before and even googled to see if I got any result, but failed.

I hopped out and headed for the restaurant, getting some food. My attention went to the TV as I heard a voice. A very familiar voice. The voice of my brother, Chase. My eyes widened a little and my heartbeat increased. He is released from prison? Today?

"... what are you going to do now you are free, Chase?" The journalist questioned. Chase looked straight into the camera as if he was aware I was watching and spoke up. "I missed my sister... I think I am going to visit her..." he said. "Even she turned you in?" the blonde woman asked. Chase uttered a cold chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "I forgive her..." the tune in his voice caused me to shiver. He's not going to forgive me, he's going to murder.

I jumped off the chair and sprinted outside, hopping back in the car. "Why? Why did they release him after what he did!" I scowled while starting the engine, but the car didn't start. "Come on! Please..." I begged, but still, the car didn't start. In anger, I kicked and felt the car jolt again. "I need to leave! Just work!" I snapped and punched the steering wheel. The car still didn't start and I hopped out. "What the hell is your damn problem! I need to leave as soon as possible! Stupid car! I should have left you at the scrapyard and melted you!" I sneered before turning around. "you know what! Perhaps I am going to change for another car and sell this stupid piece of thrash metal for a more beautiful car!" I grunted and looked around.

I spotted a man standing next to a truck with a trailer behind it,-- refueling.. The moment I was about to walk in his direction, the engine of the car started. I turned around slowly, listening to the rumbling engine. How was the car able to start its engine all on its own? That's impossible! This is great, the first day, not even halfway through and this car is already acting strange while I was convinced I patched it up perfectly. For a couple of minutes, I was only able to stare at the car, hesitating about what I was about to do. Hopping in and continuing with this ghost car? Or getting a new car and dump this piece of metal somewhere. The man from the truck took off just a few seconds ago, I have no other option but to continue with his car.

I hopped in and buckled up. "Stupid car..." I muttered as I sped off in the direction of the highway.