Part Two

Roughly a year passes by without a word from anyone besides Elijah or Rebekah, and every once in a while, Marcel comes by. He's changed so much, but just like everyone else, you've always held a place in his mind, seeing as you were the mother figure in his world.  Your life has become some type of normal, seeing as you're a free woman. When you finally decided it was time to let Nik get his revenge, you simply didn't cover your tracks like you had done all those years. There weren't goons out constantly looking for you, but you knew that as soon as he would be able to find you, someone would come. Having been someone present in their lives through the years, you knew that he normally always had far bigger fish to fry than spending his every moment obsessing over where you were.

Your name is finally beginning to get the respect it deserves, and the vampire community has taken you as their first line of defense against those who wish to do harm to your town. It hasn't been easy at times, but it's been manageable. You are the only vampire/hybrid that is equal to Nik, that's always given you an edge around others.  You are the only one who could take him on singlehandedly and have a chance of surviving.

Recovery was a long road for you. The venom Nik used was the most damaging thing you've ever experienced besides white oak. It took forever and a day before you were back to full strength. Just within the past few months, you've been feeling more like your old self again. Things are good for once. Occasionally, you'll check in on the French Quarter, just to make sure things are still alright. You haven't seen Nik, but between his siblings, you're kept in the loop for the most part. Some weeks are silent, others are filled with the latest news. It's a balancing act between caring enough and trying not to care too much. The thought of moving back to New Orleans has crossed your mind so many times now, you've lost count. That city was your home, and it always will be. The people here need you, though. You can't just leave. Unfortnatually, your responsibilities outweigh your desires. Since taking charge, everyone comes to you when they need something. New vampires come in and need someone to help guide them, it's always you who helps them. It's a responsibility you never asked for, but one you couldn't turn down, either.

It's been over a month now since you last heard anything from either of the two Mikaelson's. You've been doing your best to keep busy, but it's getting harder as this appending feeling of despair is slowly starting to appear throughout your mind. You've been brushing it off to stress, but somewhere, deep down, you know it's not stress-related. You know Elijah stays busy, and Rebekah is always running off to some other part of the world, but this feels different this time. It's just stress. It has to be.

"Y/N, is everything alright? You've been staring off into space for five minutes." Your right-hand-man, Lance, asks as you both share a cup of coffee at the local cafe while going over a few business-related things. "We can do this some other time if you would like, I am free all week."

Your eyes snap back to him and away from whatever you've been staring at while being zoned out. "What?" You shake your head softly. "No, no, this is fine." Sighing heavily, you drag your fingers through your hair. "My apologies, I just have a lot going through my mind right now."

"If you're so worried about them, why don't you just go see them?" He asks, knowing good and well exactly what's running through your mind. Lance is one of the best witches you've got in your corner, his work is very honorable and so is he.

"Who would protect everyone if something happened? I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here whose bite can kill a normal vampire." You chuckle a bit. "I'm sure it's nothing, I'm just probably not getting good enough sleep, that's all."

"Hey, I'm more than capable of handling myself, and everyone else," he teases. "Are you sure?"

You nod. "Of course." Nope. "Let's continue, yes? I'm taking up too much of your busy schedule."