Chapter5- The worst day of my life!

Avneet POV

Why won't these socks just get on! (Struggling to slip her legs into the socks) I'm gonna be late on the first day of college!

(Manages to put her sock on only to discover the hole through which the thumb pops out) Ugh!

I just let it be and skip down to the dining room where there's breakfast. Scrambled egg, toast and yogurt drink. What can be better?!

I plop myself down on the chair next to Jai, by bro, who's already halfway through his yogurt.

"Morning. Oh wait- it's not morning anymore! It's afternoon. Good afternoon."

Useless fool. Why does he always have to make fun of my wake up problems! I can never be a morning person.

"Shut up" I sneer at him.

He's currently just off 12th and on his gap year. Useless gap year.

I swallow down my scrambled eggs (not literally) and munch on the toast along with the yogurt. I pack a few books, a pencil box and pages before zipping up the bag and swallowing the last bite of the toast.

Shit! 2 minutes till the morning bus leaves!

I put on the red converse shoes that lie at the door and don't even bother tying up the laces.

(Giving her mom a quick peck on the cheek)

"Bye mom! I'll call you" and I hurry out the door.

(Her mom smiles and waves her off, walking back into the living room and staring at the phone lying on the table. "Wait till the girly realizes". And she face palms)

I run down the pavement and shout at the bus driver who lets the door open for me.

"Thank you again uncle." I smile at him and take a seat on the bus.

I let out a deep breath and that's when I realize that something is missing.

Oh no! I've forgotten my phone!

This day just got worse.

I hand the collector 30 paise for the trip and get off at the stop which is literally named 'MCI stop' which stands for Mumbai College Institute.

I let the wind hit my face and am just starting to enjoy the moment when I step on something.

Squish.

No no nO! Please don't tell me it's... dog poop.

But it is.

I almost let out a sob when I catch some girls staring at me from the corner.

Act normal Avu!

I let out a breath and smile, walking on as if there is no poop under my shoe.

I reach the campus and wipe away any remaining poop on the grass before going in.

What's my first lecture? I stop at a board and check the rooms.

It's english. At Least that's good.

I walk into english class right on time and take a seat in the second row next to some random guy with lots of hair.

The teacher walks in, a short lady with an accent. Perhaps she's Indo-American... can't exactly tell.

She starts to tell us something about how the terms are going to be divided when the boy next to me pokes me on the shoulder.

"Riyaz" he says.

What is Riyaz? What language is that? I knew I should have learned Latin in high school. Curse Jai for convincing me not to!