Silent Enemy

set immediately after the scene above. Athos, Emory, and Malcolm's Swellow are also in the room. Hoshi entered with Kishi.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Malcolm begins to cut up the cake.

"Oh and, we've got one more surprise for you, lieutenant." Hoshi says, a slight smirk in her eyes.

The captain and Trip turn towards her and exchange looks. "We do?"

Malcolm sets down the knife. "You do?"

"It is customary to give gifts at birthday parties, isn't it? Kishi?"

Before any of the men can respond, Kishi is shoving something into Malcolm's chest.

"An... egg?"

Swellow, Athos and Emory have flown over to stand next to their trainers, Trip having offered his arm as a perch for Emory. Malcolm looks beyond confused while Trip and the captain exchange smiles.

Hoshi beams, "Not just any egg. That's Kishi's egg. When I went to pick her up from Sickbay after her last checkup, Phlox told me he found something. He had no idea how it got there but he asked me if I wanted to keep it. Of course I wasn't going to let him just throw it out, so I took it back to my quarters. I was starting to wonder what to do with it when the captain told me your birthday was coming up. I asked Kishi if she'd be ok with giving away her egg, and I guess since it'll be staying on the ship, and seeing as you two are such good friends.."

"That was months ago! And I said I was sorry."

Kishi gave what the men assumed was a frown and Hoshi waved him off. "Animosity notwithstanding, Kishi still wanted me to tell you, happy birthday Malcolm."

Malcolm stares down at the object in his hands as if just registering what it was. "Thank you Hoshi, but I can't-"

Archer slaps him on the back and Malcolm fumbles with the fragile gift. Kishi takes a step closer. "Come on, Malcolm. You can't turn down a birthday present!"

"Yeah, that's like, the third rule of birthdays." Trip manages to spit out through the inhuman amount of cake he's managed to shovel down in the past minute.

Malcolm frowns at him. "And what might the first two be?"

Trip smiles with all his southern charm as he allows Emory to eat off his plate. "Never spend them alone, and make sure there's enough cake for everyone."

Hoshi laughs, "Well, we better act fast before the commander ends up breaking his own rule."

"Try to save some cake for the birthday boy, huh, Trip?"

"First come first served."

"Don't talk with your moth full!"

Athos begins pecking at Trip as he reaches for his third slice while Hoshi and Archer move to get some cake for themselves. Malcolm steps back and sets the egg gently by Swellow. "Watch this for me, alright?"

Swellow gives a bird nod as her trainer moves to return to the festivities. She looks down at the egg, then to Haxorus, then to Malcolm, then back to the egg.

This was going to be an interesting season.

~~~~~~~~~~

"swellow gives a bird nod" can you tell where I started to give up? It was with the title. It's 8am. I didn't wake up early to write this I have been awake all night thinking about this godforsaken AU. I hate being in the star trek fandom why did my brain decide to fixate on this. There's going to be one more chapter. I also have a backstory for how Janeway got her team yeah I made a team for every star trek character. Also have a backstory for Tom Paris, Wesley Crusher, Worf, and the entire DS9 crew because I am unwell. Maybe on my next all nighter I'll come back and write them. Maybe they'll stay in my notes app forever. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and I'll hate star trek. We could only be so lucky. Like and comment or whatever idk