Chapter Five: Into the Pale City

Six's POV
_________________________________________

Six flinched as soon as the gun fired, and she released the half that she had been holding. The force of the gunshot caused her to fall backwards, and she brought her hands up to her ears. She couldn't hear anything except a faint ringing.

Her gaze trailed back to the broken door. Just outside of it lay the body of the Hunter.

We did it! He's really dead. Serves the damn freak right. She thought, smiling faintly. She turned, her attention falling back to Mono. But he wasnt about to celebrate like she was. In fact, he wasnt even standing anymore. He was laying on the ground, his expression pained, from what she could see through the holes in the paper bag. The cloth Six had wrapped around his leg was barely hanging on anymore. As her hearing returned, she wandered over to him.

I swear if he just dropped dead I'm going to bring him back from the dead and kill him a second time. She thought as she crouched down and shook him. When he didnt respond, she pressed her head against his chest to see if she could hear his heartbeat. When she heard the faint beating, she sat up, and sighed.

"He's probably just tired," She muttered. Her gaze then trailed back to his leg. When she had examined the wound for the first time, she had been extremely glad. It hadn't been too insanely bad. The bullet didnt hit him directly, the side of it had just slid across the side of his leg. But it had still been pretty nasty, and now it looked even worse. The disgusting swamp water had dirtied it up, and it looked more painful than before.

Six cringed, and shook him again. When he still didnt respond, she let out a frustrated sigh. "Looks like I'm carrying him, then."

She picked him up to the best of her ability, though he was bigger than her. She was dragging him more than she was carrying him. Carefully heaving him up and out of the window of the shed, she followed behind and picked him up again.

"Jesus Christ your heavy..!" She exclaimed as she dragged him along. She paused as soon as she came across a beach. She stared out across the waters, before looking around. "Theres no way we could swim out there, especially not with him in this condition. But maybe.."

A wooden door nearby caught her attention, and she stumbled over to it. "This will do."

She pushed it out into the water, before quickly picking Mono up and dragging him onto the door. As soon as both he and her were on it, she pushed away from the beach, and sat down. As she stared out into the distance, she hummed the tune from her music box. She missed it, but she'd choose escaping over some dumb music anytime.

Speaking of escaping... She thought, glancing back at Mono. I wonder if I'll need him anymore. I mean, I guess company is nice, but doing things on my own is better. She pondered a bit more as she stared at him, before deciding. I'll keep him around. He's useful for me, and he saved my life before.

Her gaze then trailed to one of his hands. Before, it had surprised her how right it felt to be holding him by the hand. It was weird to think, but true. She pushed the thought away as her face tinted pink.

Then she saw that he was starting to move. She quickly turned her back to him, and stared off into the distance, trying to pretend that she hadn't been looking at him. She heard him groan in pain. Letting out a sigh, she turned back to him.

"You seriously need to stop moving. Your leg is getting worse, y'know," She remarked. Mono raised his head, and she could see him looking at her through the holes in the paper bag.