CHAPTER 1: Veronica (IN PROGRESS)

Start Date: March 17, 2021

Author's Note, Please read: I've been on Wattpad for about 6 years on various accounts, but this is the first book that I am writing with the intent of publishing. This is a free book, and I intend to keep it that way because I want to give back to the Wattpad community. I have a public reading list on my profile of some of my favorite books that are also free, so I'd recommend you to check them out! 

Also... yes, it is March 2021 right now, meaning PANDEMIC! : ( But, this book will be set in a Covid-19 free 2021 because let's be honest, we all just want a well-written and lighthearted read in these times. If you are reading this after the pandemic, comment on this paragraph and say "I'M ALIVE".

Ahh I know, I know, I need to get on with the book, but I just want to ask all you readers to comment and vote on my story if you like it! And if you don't, let me know why in the comments! I also would like to add that this is NOT fanfiction, so the characters in this book are not meant to represent real individuals, and any similarities are purely coincidental.

Enjoy the ride! xoxo Crystal         

*I am also having tech issues w/ inserting pics, so I'll insert them later : ))

This book will be written from the POV's of both Veronica and Zain, but you will see Zain's POV after they meet!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"SON OF A BITCH FUCK FUCK FUCKKKKKKK!!!", I screamed as I dropped a heavy box of cutlery and dishes on my foot. I was lucky my apartment had an elevator, but that didn't mean I was mentally wishing that it had a bellhop to help me move my boxes.

"Jesus Vi, I told you to wait for me", my best friend Jasmine groaned, tutting disapprovingly in my direction as I stuck my tongue out at her.

"I was just hyped Jazzyyyy" I whined in defense, "Besides, I'm so excited about moving here. We're going to be CITY BITCHESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!" I yelled in unison with her.

I should probably explain myself... I'm Veronica Cramer, and I moved into my apartment in downtown Manhattan, New York with my best friend of 20 years, Jasmine Yates. We were both born and brought up in the small, yet bustling city of Charlotte, North Carolina. It turned out that our moms had been old college friends, and had reunited at our elementary school when we became friends in 1st grade. Since then, we had stuck together through thick and through thin, from the time she lost her first tooth, to when she found out her parents were getting a divorce, to my shitty and embarrassing ex-boyfriend, and us getting caught skinny dipping with our other friends at the local abandoned quarry where most high-schoolers hung out over the summer. No matter what happened, we stuck together. We were fairly nerdy in high-school with straight As and Bs in our AP classes, and we were also on the debate team. But we were stuck in the middle of the "social hierarchy", which resulted in being known by other students for our clubs and being nice, while also having a large group of close-knit friends that were more like family. Fashion and style were ways that we expressed ourselves while also being good students. 

Jasmine was a 5'4 ball of sarcasm and happiness with roots in Argentina and Chile that had blessed her with beautiful tan skin and a long mane of curly black hair. My grandmother was born in Delhi, India when she moved to Canada and met my grandfather where they fell in love. They had my mom, Kalani, and her older sister, Niki, in Charlotte, North Carolina where they bought a small home to raise them. My mom met my dad in her 20s, and after they got married, had my older brother Freddie 3 years before me. With the combination of my mom's Indian roots and my dad's super tall European mashup, I turned out 5'9 with lightly tanned skin and dark brown hair.

After graduating high school, we both got accepted into NYU's Stern School of Business on scholarships and moved into a cramped apartment together. Since then, we've graduated and earned our master's degrees in business management and finance respectively and earned internships at companies that paid a pretty decent amount. I had recently accepted a job offer from Goldman Sachs to be on the business and marketing team, and she accepted a financial role at a well-known HR company a couple of miles away from me. We had been good with our money by saving most of it and not splurging on anything which allowed us to move into our own studio apartments in the same building. I had helped her move all of her stuff in a few days ago, and now she was helping me.

"Hey Jaz, help me move my mattress onto the bed and we can call it a night", I said before collapsing onto a pile of throw blankets and cushions on my small sofa.

We finished putting all the big furniture in place and unpacked the cutlery and dishes to fill up the limited storage I had in my kitchen. I then called Pizza Hut to order some cheese pizza and garlic knots for dinner before splitting up and going to bed. My place was a small, but cozy studio-style apartment that was about 750 sq ft and boasted light taupe walls, whitewashed pine floors, and a small white kitchen with grey quartz counters. Most of my furniture was neutral shades of white, gray, and tan with pops of charcoal and black. I'd add some pops of color later as I collected decor and more houseplants, but overall, I liked the peaceful and cozy vibe. The electrical and cable guy had come in the day before to set up my WiFi and TV which I was now thankful for.