seven -> what am i doing here?

June 23, 1943
Army camp, Italy

Maria Mitchell's POV

When I arrived at the camp, I had to push my way past dozens of sweaty men to find the Major's tent. I could practically see the lust in the men's eyes as I passed by, not even bothering to acknowledge them. And then I walked into the tent and received very confused looks from the Major and a soldier he was talking to.

"Sorry ma'am but the nurses tents are on the east side of camp." Major Adams said, returning to his conversation with the soldier who was eyeing me up and down.

"Major Adams, sir, I'm here because Colonel Philips said you requested me." At that he stopped and look at one of the many papers he had on his desk, then looked at me, then back at the paper, then decided to put it down and look me once again.

"Agent Mitchell's of the SSR?" He asked while clearly evaluating me.

"Yes sir. If you don't mind my asking, why am I here?"

"You are here because I've read about you. More specifically the soldiers you've previously trained. "

"I'm afraid I don't follow sir."

I am honestly confused as to where he is going with this.

"Some of your previous trainees have become some of the most well-disciplined and strong willed soldiers I've ever met."

"That still does not explain why you requested me, specifically." I said, trying not to sound disrespectful.

"My apologies, you are here to do your job." He said casually.

"You want me to train your soldiers?" If this is what he wanted from me, I would have faked sick or something. I don't need any more testosterone overloaded men undressing me with their eyes.

"Yes." He answered simply.

"If you don't mind my asking, why me? Why don't you train them yourself? Shouldn't they already be trained and ready for battle?"

"I requested you because of your history in training and mainly handling men. These men are trained for battle, to use guns, to throw fists but they are not soldiers. Your ability to bring forth the soldier in them and teach them to put their selfish ambitions aside is why you will be training them."

His answer was very understandable. I've met the most skilled and well trained men who, once put on the battle field, loose all sense direction, teamwork, leadership, courage, and just end up running around shooting bullets aimlessly. If I could turn a mindless, arrogant cow into a loyal, honourable, selfless, soldier then I'll do it.

I took a deep breath.

"When do I start?"

And at that he smiled.