҉  Return  ҉  

The red-armored guards were limp on the ground, holes through their bodies from the ignited lightsabers.

Rey panted, gazing at the room. There were small fires here and there, making the room stuffy and hot. The battle was so quick, but so frightening. She looked up at Ben. Without him, she'd be dead. He was staring at the now empty throne, greed sparking in his dark eyes.

The ceilings rained sparks. The orange flicker cast eerie light on his face.

"We have to save them!" Rey looked back at the huge windows. Fire was still raining on her rebel friends. She looked back at Ben desperately, "Ben?"

Kylo stared at the empty throne. Snoke was dead. He did it. He chose Rey over Snoke. Over everything he had.

There was a strange feeling in his mind, as if someone had ripped away the roots of a plant. Snoke was gone. Kylo had never realized how heavily his master had weighed in his mind.

Pain, grief, hate.... It all came back. Memories he tried to forget. Snoke's whispers in his head. His need to hide his feelings, tuck them deep in his mind so Snoke would never see.

That fear was completely gone.

He fell to his knees.

Rey rushed toward him, grabbing his shoulder to stop him from face planting on the hard floor.

She moved in front of him, still holding his shoulder.

That heat. That human heat. She could feel him. His muscles. He was so... human.

Rey lowered herself down and ducked her head so she could see his face. His black hair formed a curtain around it.

"Ben..." She drew his name out softly, a bit uncertainly.

"He's gone," he whispered, slowly raising his dark eyes up to him. Seeing his face, so handsome and covered with sweat and hair; so vulnerable, so scared. So Ben.

Kylo's brow furrowed as he thought. He let out a long sigh and muttered, "Snoke... I can't feel him anymore."

"He's dead, Ben. You don't need to listen to him anymore."

His eyes seemed vacant. "His presence is gone, yes. But what he did to me is still there." They stared into each other's eyes for a long moment before he added, "It's like everything is suddenly free."

Rey held his arm. "He won't hurt you again. He won't manipulate you or lie to you."

Kylo looked at her, his dark eyes scanning over her expression. Was that... relief on his face?

"Rey..." he whispered. "I'm sorry."

Her eyes widened. She stared at him, trying to figure out if this was real. "Ben?"

His eyes said it all. She felt his hand slowly move to cup the side of her face. She felt tears trickle down her cheeks.

They moved toward each other at the same time. Ben stopped, debating whether to do this. Rey answered the question for him. She closed the space between them, pressing her lips against his. The Force around them seemed to buzz; it felt gray, balanced, perfect.

She felt his lips move in a smile with hers.

On Ach-To stood Luke, making his way up to the Jedi Temple inside the carved-out mountain. He stopped mid-step, sensing the sudden ripple of balance and gray in the Force.

"She did it," he whispered, almost unbelievingly. He looked out to the ocean, an unreadable expression on his face. "She did it."

Leia, meanwhile, was sitting in one of the escape crafts, watching Crait slowly grow closer. She was surrounded by frantic Resistance fighters when she suddenly gasped and clutched her heart.

Poe, who sat beside her, leaned over and held her shoulder. "General, are you okay? Should I get help?"

Leia ignored the handsome young man's perplexed face and whispered a single name.

"Ben."