chapter seven - the misty mountains

The following morning, I was shaken awake, not by Dwalin, but by an incessant Ori. To top it all off, I had a banging headache and a foul taste in my mouth.

"Too early for training," I grumbled, pulling the pillow over my face, but it Dwalin who snatched it away and threw it out of my reach.

"Aye, no training this morning," he said. "But get up. We're leaving."

"Leaving?" Groggily, I just about managed to sit up. This headache would be the death of me.

"Aye. Get your things and be quick about it," he said. "And don't moan about it either. It'll teach you to handle your drink better." 

I couldn't deny that my hangover was an effective lesson. No sooner had I managed to stumble out of bed and to gather up my things was I vowing never to touch wine or mead again. Ale, I vowed, from there on out. Ale I could manage. Elvish brews were apparently subject to debate. 

The other dwarves were all ready before me, standing around and, in some cases, watching me a little uneasily. Bofur, at least, gave me a hand, as did Kili, but the others kept their distance. Nori, in particular, looked a little sour this morning. The elves had healed his nose well, but they hadn't been able to sate his temper. Rather he just tended to his hair and glowered in my general direction.  

Ignoring my old acquaintance, I spotted instead, just through the doorway, a heated exchange passing between Oakenshield and his oldest nephew. I could not catch what was said but Oakenshield seemed particularly enraged, turning around and storming into our room as a chastened Fili could only look on.

"You," the Company's leader pointed at me. "What do I hear of you picking fights with your fellow dwarves?"

"But-"

"No buts," Oakenshield sneered. "You're lucky that Balin talked to me first, otherwise I'd be leaving you here with the elves to deal with. When Balin first suggested bringing you along, I thought we'd have trouble getting you to keep up with the rest of us. I didn't expect I'd have to hear of you being dragged off of another member of your own Company."

I kept my eyes cast sourly to my feet.

"I agreed for you to join us on the strict instruction you'd be helping Oin with his healing work, but I haven't seen you lift a finger to help him. Start livening up your attitude, otherwise we'll leave you behind." And with that, the mighty Oakenshield spun around and I was unceremoniously dismissed.

"Make sure you have all your things," he said to the rest of the Company. "We'll be heading off shortly." 

Kili had not stuck around for my scolding; he and his brother had dashed off somewhere else. The other dwarves went back to their own business; none, not even Bofur, willing to make eye contact with me. Crossly, I stuffed the rest of my things back into my bedroll, before throwing it over my shoulder and marching off to the outer courtyard.

It took another good half-hour for the Company (minus the wizard who seemed keen to stay) to assemble in the still dark courtyard. The Durin brothers were the last to arrive. Dawn was just beginning to break on the horizon, but already Oakenshield was barking at us to move ahead. He led us out, across bridges and passes, from the dwarvish city and up towards the mountains.

My head was still sore from the night before and my mood sour still, so I kept to the back of the Company. The hobbit, oblivious as ever, seemed keen to slow the rest of us down. He kept having to stop to gaze wistfully back at the elvish city, until Oakenshield rebuked him and we managed to continue our trek upwards.

After a while, the Durin brothers paused their frantic whispered conversation. Fili seemed somewhat downcast, but his brother proved to be his usual, chirpy self and slowed down to walk beside me.