Ch. 48- Max's Bear

*Danielle's POV

"You're going to be a big brother," I whispered to Max, as we rode the elevator up to Madison's hospital room. Max nodded proudly. "That's a big responsibility for you," I told him, "Do you think you'll be able to handle it?" Max nodded quickly, a cheesy grin on his face. "Big Brother." He told me.

'Big Brother' has been Max's favorite thing to say for the last two days. He's so excited. I'm glad he's a few minutes older than Madison. The elevator dinged. Max grinned, and ran out into the hallway. "Wait up, baby!" I called. I can't believe Max is barely one, and already running around. He's such a big boy.

Finally I caught up to Max at Madison's room. "Want to open the door?" I asked Max. He nodded, turning to shove the door open. I smiled, and turned the knob for him. The door swung open. "Danielle," Said Dr. Card, standing up and clasping his hands together. "Hi, doctor." I said, closing the door behind me.

"How are you?" I asked, scooping Max into my arms. "I'm fine, thanks." Said Dr. Card, sitting back down. "Feel free to take a seat." Said Dr. Card, motioning to a chair. "Thanks." I said, sitting down. Max wriggled out of my arms, and stood next to Madison's bed.

"Hi Maddie." Said Max, waving to the small girl. All Madison did was blink. "Big brother." Said Max, leaning on the beds metal frame. Madison rolled over, leaving Max to stare at her back. Max frowned, and crawled back onto my lap. "Her burns are still pretty bad, so you'll have to change the bandage every night, or whenever Madison bathes." Said Dr. Card, digging around for some papers.

"We just need you to sign these papers here, then you should be good to go. I'll call the nurse to change Madison's bandages, and get her ready to go home. She can give you a brief description of what to do." I nodded, and the doctor handed me a clipboard and pen.

"Thanks." I said, struggling to read the document with Max on my lap. "I can move." Said Max, sliding off my lap. "Love you." I told him, as he sat down on the floor. I read over the documents, and signed on the dotted line. I passed the clipboard back to the doctor, just as a nurse came in.

"Hello," Smiled the female nurse. I don't think I've seen this nurse before. "My name is Nurse Wilda, I specialize in burn treatment." I nodded, "Mind quickly showing me how to change the bandage?" I asked. The nurse shook her head, "That wouldn't be a problem at all."

"Thanks." I said. "Madison," Said the nurse, lightly shaking the small body, "Time to change your owies." Madison slightly rolled over, and held out her arms. "Thank-you." Said the nurse, sitting down on the foot of Madison's bed. "What you're going to do," Said the nurse, "Is remove this clip, and roll the bandage off."

I watched as the nurse undid a small clasp, and rolled the bandage off Madison's first arm. Madison winced at the pain, and pulled her bed-sheet close to her face. "Then, dab the wound with this antibiotic." Said Nurse Wilda, dabbing the red burns. It makes me want to throw up just seeing the bloody burns. I can't believe Madison has to struggle through this.

Dr. Card looked over the document, while I got the bandage lesson.

"Then throw out the old bandage because it's gross," Laughed the nurse, balling the bandage up and tossing it into the trash can. "Then, take a new roll out," Said the nurse, pulling out a small rolled up bandage, "Un-roll it, and wrap it around Madison's arm. Not too loose, not too tight."

I watched the nurse gently wrap Madison's arm up. "Then, secure it with the clip. That's all you'll have to do." Said the nurse, putting the bandage wrapper in the trash. "The hospital can supply bandages and a couple extra clips for you." Nurse Wilda explained. I nodded, "Thank-you."

"Bye Madison," Said the nurse, "I'll miss seeing you here." All Madison did was roll over. Nurse Wilda sighed, and stood up. "Come on Madison, I'm going to put you in the wheelchair now." Said the nurse. Madison sighed, and rolled over again. The only expression Madison had was frustration.

"Thanks Madison." Said the nurse, carefully picked Madison up, and plopping her onto a wheelchair. "I'm going to get Madison changed, then you are free to go." Said the nurse, smiling and wheeling my daughter away. I sighed. Madison barely fits in that wheelchair.

"You can go out to the waiting room," Said Dr. Card, "Nurse Wilda will bring Madison out to you when she's done changing her. Here are the bandages." Said the Doctor, passing me a small box of stretchy cloth. "Thank-you. For everything." I said, smiling. "Have a good life, Danielle."

**

"This is your home," I told Madison, as I wheeled her into the house. The hospital supplied us with a temporary wheelchair, since Maddie can't walk yet, and her arms are too burned for her to crawl. All she did was stare at Max, who was walking next to her wheelchair.

I closed the front door behind me, and kicked off my shoes. "Want to come with me to show Madison her bedroom?" I asked Max. He grinned, and sat down. "Yes mum!" He agreed, as he yanked his boots off his feet. "Let me help you with your boots," I told Madison, kneeling down to take her shoes off.

She turned her head away from me, as I slid her little brown boots off. I brought an outfit of hers to the hospital, so she wouldn't have to wear a hospital gown home. She's wearing little pink overalls, a white long sleeve with small pink hearts, white ruffle socks, and her little brown boots.

Max is wearing little blue overalls. A white long sleeve underneath, with small blue trucks and cars all over it. He has plain blue socks, and brown boots similar to Madison's. I'm really excited that I can make their outfits coordinate. I bought Max and Madison quite a few similar outfits to wear together.

"Done." Max told me, dropping his shoes on the boot-mat. "Good baby," I said, "Want to carefully go upstairs and wait in Maddie's bedroom?" I asked. "Okay!" Said Max, and began running towards the stairs. "I said carefully!" I called after my son. I really don't want him getting hurt.

"Let's go see all your new toys and clothes." I told Madison, putting her boots down beside Max's. She shook her head no. "Why not?" I asked her. She ignored me. "Okay, let's go upstairs to bed, then." I sighed, picking up my daughter. I carefully held her in my arms, and carried her up the stairs.

I got up the stairs just in time to see Max pushing Madison's door open. He flicked on the light, and ran inside. I followed him inside, and put Madison down on the small beanbag chair Max picked out for her. "Do you like it?" I asked Madison, already knowing she wasn't going to answer. She shrugged coldly.

"Okay." I said, taking a deep breath. "Your uncles and aunts, Max and I all decorated it for you." She ignored me, of course. "Look Maddie." Said Max, picking up the stuffed bear Max got for Christmas, from Perrie. "You have him." Said Max, passing Madison his favorite bear. Madison shook her head no, but stared longingly at the bear anyway.

"Okay." Said Max, giving Madison a small smile. He toddled over to Madison's crib, and dropped the bear over the railing. The bear landed on Madison's pillow safely. "For you." Said Max sweetly. Madison avoided my son. "Love you." Max told Madison, smiling at her and leaving the room.

I sighed. I hope Madison doesn't hurt Max. Max only wants a friend.