Chapter 11

Friday, October 18, 1985

Lorelai stood in the middle of her bedroom, looking around. Everything in it represented a life she didn't want or need.

The last year had been full of change for her. Transitioning from teen to mother hadn't been easy but she slowly fell into a rhythm with Rory that completely altered her perspective on nearly everything.

Except one thing. Her parents' world.

Early in Rory's life, Lorelai had questioned her plans to move to Stars Hollow. The first couple months were hard, what with late nights and early mornings. Having hired help was one of the only benefits to staying with her parents. However, her relationship with Richard and Emily only grew more contentious as the days passed.

The time had come to leave. Lorelai felt confident that she could walk away from this house and never look back. Rory would be provided for, she was sure of it. Her plans would be put into action the following day with the help of Christopher.

At that thought, Lorelai spied Rory playing with toys in her crib. Smiling, she crossed the room, picked the baby up, and kissed her forehead. "It's happening, honey. We're out of this house, once and for all."

She put Rory back into the crib and moved to the walk-in closet. The Gilmore's were at a luncheon for the museum, giving Lorelai time to pack. She found her luggage set and dragged it to the side, opening the largest case. She made quick work of folding her and Rory's clothing and adding a few other essential items, filling the luggage to the brim.

Lorelai knew it wouldn't be easy but she would make do with the bare minimum until she got up on her feet. Her only hesitation was the fear that enveloped her when she considered what would happen if her plans backfired.

°°°°°°

Saturday, October 19, 1985

The following afternoon, Richard left to pick up his tuxedo for yet another function while Emily went to get her hair done. While they were gone, Lorelai wrote a note to her parents, telling them she and Rory were leaving.

The doorbell rang, alerting Lorelai that Christopher had arrived as planned. A few moments later, she heard footfalls and a knock on her bedroom door. "Lor?" She opened the door, moving to the side.

"You sure you want to go through with this?"

Lorelai nodded. Her throat thick with emotion, she merely pointed to the large suitcase as she reached into the crib for Rory.

Once the three were downstairs, Lorelai moved to the side of the staircase and grabbed Rory's car seat, quickly putting her in it. She reached for and folded up the stroller. Christopher, waiting at the front door, gave her a sad smile. "If you're ready...."

"I am."

Lorelai walked to the door, turning to look back into the house. Her emotions were a jumble but it came as a surprise that a small part of her was sad that this was how her life here was ending.

Without another word, she closed the door behind her.

°°°°°°

Driving past the gazebo, Lorelai glanced around. "I wonder where the Independence Inn is. I don't see anything resembling an inn."

Christopher slowed the car. "Should we stop and ask directions?"

Lorelai bit her lip. "That might be best."

"Let's try this place." Christopher parked in front of a bakery. He opened his door but Lorelai stopped him.

"I'll ask. You wait here." As she climbed from the car, Rory started reaching for her, then began fumbling with the straps in her seat. Lorelai bent down. "You want to come with Mommy?" The little girl nodded.