Chapter 4

February 2, 1996, Hogwarts

.

The crowd that evening, Harry noted with relief, was lighter by two. Both Cho and Marietta had elected not to come. Of course, that wasn't completely unexpected, Luna had quite happily informed him that both of them had decided to drop the DA.

When finally the last of the members had arrived, Harry nodded to Fred to close the doors and to seal them.

The room this time was slightly different. Most of the floor was empty and expanded enough to allow everyone to have enough room to swing a broom if need be without hitting anyone else. The other two new additions were a small stage at one end and a big table near the door filled with two large cauldrons filled with Honeyduke's very best chocolate.

"If everyone is ready, we'll get started," Harry called, having taken to the stage.

He waited until the shuffling stopped and every eye was on him before proceeding. Surprisingly, he was getting used to not only being in charge but also teaching. Some more of drunk Sirius' advice being right – that he'd make a good teacher? Maybe the old dog needed to get wasted more often? Something to think about later.

"Tonight we have something special planned for you, something that I know that you've all been waiting for and pestering me about," Harry stated.

Instantly a susurration swept the gathered thirty-two students in front of him with one word being prevalent: patronus!

"Yep, you guessed it," Harry smiled, shooting a look at Hermione at the side of the stage. "Tonight, we're going to start learning how to cast a patronus."

As predicted, the excitement level rose as everyone's face beamed with eagerness or turned to their neighbour to talk about it.

"Okay, settle down," Harry said, holding his hands up. "Before we begin, let's start with the basics. What is a patronus and what is it used for? Anyone?

From the corner of his eye, Harry saw Hermione's hand flinch and he knew that she wanted to thrust it into the air to answer. Thankfully, here at least, she'd learnt to let the others have a chance.

"Angelina?" Harry acknowledged.

"A patronus is a positive force of magical energy that can protect you from dementors or lethifolds," she said. "It usually comes in two forms – a silver misty shield or the more fully formed corporeal guardian."

"Exactly right," Harry nodded. "Everyone's corporeal patronus will be different as it's a reflection of you. There's no right or wrong patronus or form; all it shows is an aspect that makes you you. Now, I don't expect any of you to even get a shield mist tonight, let alone a corporeal patronus. This is extremely advanced magic! Be sure you remember that. It will drain you and make you tired. If you do start to feel that way, then I want you to stop and rest and have a block of chocolate. Believe me, it'll help."

Harry paused and looked around the room to ensure that everyone understood. When he'd received a nod from everyone, he continued.

"As you all know, there are three parts to any spell and the patronus charm is no different. The incantation is simply 'expecto patronum'. As to the wand movement, a simple point is all you need. Now, the third part, drawing your magic to power the spell. This is where it becomes a little different and, while I can give you some ideas and pointers, it comes down to you. I know. It took me ages to figure this out for myself before I could do it."

He paused, making sure that everyone was paying attention. They were.

"What truly powers your patronus is not just your magic but the emotions that go along with it. You need to truly feel it. Happiness. Love. Joy. Contentedness. Every positive emotion that you can think of will fuel your patronus. And what powers that feeling is a memory. You need to find a memory within yourself, some time when you felt truly and deeply loved and happy or joyful and content. There can't be any negative emotions in there.