☁{Dream/Nightmare}☁

Okay, this is angst. No real warnings, though, other than that. It's based off the song Hero n Villain Duet by Natalie Chavez, which I'm linking above (maybe, my tablet is being weird). Anyway, hope you enjoy! This one is kinda short and not the best, though, so... Heh- Welp, hope ya enjoy anyway!
_____________________________________________________________________

Dream slowly walked through the dark castle, following the energy source of his brother. Or... the one who used to be his brother. It wasn't hard, the overwhelming negativity was actually pretty easy to feel out. The place the energy was coming from seemed to be some sort of combat training room.

Nightmare, the new Nightmare, was there, practising on a dummy. He was hitting it with all his strength, he never... never wanted to feel weak again. He would never let anyone hurt him again. He was so absorbed in his training he still didn't notice Dream, who was standing in the doorway, until he heard his soft voice spoke to him.

"What are you doing, dear? Aren't you tired...?"

Nightmare froze and turned around, his gaze hardening when he saw who it was. Ignoring the question, he asked one of his own. "What are you doing here? I don't think you were invited."

Dream sighed, he just went over and took Nightmare's hand in his own. His knuckles were busted up, and the positive guardian immediately went to work healing them. Well, trying to, anyway, but Nightmare didn't want his help, he pulled his arm away.

"Here you go again, pretending like you love me when, just beneath the surface, you're convinced that you're above me..." Nightmare's words were both angry and, understandably, hurt.

His words were quickly shot down by Dream shaking his head. "No... Dig deep into the past, I've never been one for doing things half-assed... If I'm here to save you, I'll be here forever... Just take my hand, I'll be your knight in shining armour...!" Dream's voice was getting more desperate, almost pleading with the other to not argue.

Nightmare just blinked, pausing for a moment. "You..." He started, chuckling lightly. "You think you're a hero?"

Dream looked like he was going to respond, but Nightmare shook his head and continued. "And they'll tell you you are... So kind and so handsome~ And you've come so far..."

Whether he had anything else to say wasn't important now to Dream, he wanted to stop that thought. "You think you're a villain. But I know you're not.... Under all that angst and anger is a beating, living so-"

"A dying, broken soul, you mean?" Again, Dream looked like he wanted to protest, but Nightmare didn't give him the chance. "What about that lonely little boy?"

"I'm sorry..." Dream mumbled.

"What about his monsters, who prevailed?"

Dream just shook his head and muttered another pathetic apology.

Nightmare's voice became quieter, more vulnerable. "You never came to save my world... What about me?"

"What about us, Night? I recognize that you're upset, I know-"

"Oh, you know nothing of me."

The smaller skeleton sighed at once again being cut off. "Maybe so... But trust me, please believe me, this won't stop the hurt for long! We don't need to end like this, look me in the eyes..." By this point he was on the ground, literally pleading on his knees for Nightmare to listen to him.

The response was a groan, followed by exasperated words, "Here comes the hero complex."

"Night..." Dream started, using the nickname by habit. "You call yourself a villain-"

"Because I am!"

"But we know it's a disguise...! You said so yourself..."

Nightmare just scoffed. "So, you're back at it again: twisting and manipulating every word I've said."

"No! Night, you know that's not true!"

"Isn't it?" Nightmare's voice was once again quiet, he once again sounded more hurt than angry.

"It's not... I was trying to help you! Please let me help yo-"

This time when he was cut off it was by a shout, though it was shaky. Nightmare was avoiding looking at him. "YOU ARE NOT MY HERO... You don't know how it felt... What else could one do with all the cards that I've been dealt..."

While Nightmare was managing to keep himself together, Dream was crying, barely even being able to speak. "You are not the villain... You once held my hand..."

Nightmare just shook his head. "Stand up..." When Dream did so, he turned around, his back now facing him. "Get out."

"But-"

"I said get out, Dream! Things don't always go as planned..."

Dream reached his hand out to him, but pulled it away and rubbed his eyes. He turned and walked out, backtracking the same dark, stone path as before. But now... He didn't have the same hope to light the way.