Panic! at the Dinner

"No... Rosie, I can't."

"Please, it is just a dinner," Rosie spoke, and Carter groaned, shaking her head in negation.

Carter had just arrived in Costa Luna and it was precisely a week before Rosie would be crowned as queen. Ed was supposed to arrive sometime closer to the date, but Carter could not care less about him. She was tentatively friends with him, but the entire reason she was here early was so that she could spend quality time with her best friend without Ed being there.

However, it was her very first day here, and despite the fact that she had aimed to only spend time with Rosie, something was already trying to pull her attention away from her best friend. And that something came in the unfortunate form of her best friend's mother wanting to have dinner with her and Rosie.

It was not that Carter did not like Queen Sophia. It was more that Carter was comfortable with only a select few people, and quite truthfully, the title of queen intimidated her. When Rosie would become queen, Carter was sure nothing would change, but that was because she knew Rosie well. Carter was sure that Queen Sophia was a nice woman—after all, she had successfully raised a wonderful and kind daughter—but Carter did not know her at all, which, in turn, made her quite nervous indeed.

"Please," Rosie pleaded, those big, brown eyes boring holes into Carter's soul. Finding herself pulled from her thoughts, Carter blinked, trying not to look directly into Rosie's eyes since she knew how she would cave if she truly studied them for too long. Rosie could always pull things out of her that no one else could. She was just so sweet and unconditionally kind, and Carter found she could never resist her despite her best efforts.

"No..."

"Please. My mother really wants to meet you, and I believe that this would be the perfect opportunity to do so," Rosie expressed, the slightest bit more desperation easing into her voice as she tried to convince Carter to go along with her.

"It would mean very much to me, Carter," Rosie added, scooting nearer to Carter as she grew closer to her. Carter knew she was going to lose this battle, so she went ahead and looked into Rosie's eyes despite knowing better.

Rosie was looking at her with that same frustratingly sweet expression that she always had but this time with some sadness and begging added in. Carter sighed deeply before shaking her head and moving her head over to press against Rosie's in aggravation.

"Fine," Carter begrudgingly consented, and Rosie smiled widely, squeezing Carter's hand tightly.

"Thank you," Rosie expressed, sounding quite sincere indeed, and Carter held up a finger to stop the girl before she began to prattle on about how wonderful all of it would be. Carter moved her head away from Rosie so that she could look at her best friend.

"But you need to tell me what to do when it comes to etiquette and stuff," Carter pointed out, and Rosie looked at her strangely.

"My mother will not care about all of that. You are a guest," Rosie explained, tilting her head in that adorable manner. In so many ways, Rosie genuinely reminded Carter of a puppy, and that was part of why it was so difficult to decline any of Rosie's wishes.

"Yeah, but at least tell me what to do when we're sitting there and eating. I don't want to look like a complete idiot," Carter informed her.

"Oh, Carter. You are not a complete idiot, nor could you ever look like one," Rosie spoke wisely, and Carter chuckled slightly.

"Says the girl that has seen me at my highest level of idiocracy," Carter joked, and Rosie smiled, seeming much too smug for her own good as she lifted her chin and attempted a regal pose.