Chapter 2/ stones

Chapter 2

Feathertail woke before the others. Her nose wet with morning dew. She carefully stepped out of her nest and out into the glade. She needed some time alone, some time when she didn't have disappointed eyes on her.

Treading up towards the stream she let her thoughts wander. They were about a day's travel from the clans. Feathertail could only hope they would get there in time. The bushes behind her shuttered. Feathertail jumped up in alarm, her fur bristling. Crowpaws dark grey body slid out from behind "calm down it's just me"

Feathertail let her fur lie-flat "Crowpaw, my apologies. I didn't wake you did I?"

Crowpaw shook his head "I was already waking up, I just wanted to make sure you were ok"

Feathertail blinked "why wouldn't I be ok?"

Crowpaw straightened up "Feathertail you almost died back there for Starclan's sake, are you seriously going to tell me that you can just walk away after that as if nothing happened"

Feathertail hesitated, that is what she thought would happen yes. They had put themselves in danger for the sake of their clan plenty of times. How was this any different?

As if reading her thoughts Crowpaw shook his head "Feathertail, I, I love you. Losing you would have been no better than dying at Sharptoothes claws. I don't want you to die because of my mistakes. Tawnypelt saved your life but you almost died! Another tail length and you would be in starclan';s hunting grounds right now." Crowpaw brushed against her "please promise me you won't go dying for me, ok? I can't lose you, I won't""

"Crowpaw... " she trailed off before bending down to nudge him "I love you two, I'm sorry for worrying you, but I wasn't about to let you die.." she looked down at him and smiled "But everything is ok now, can't we just be appreciative of that?"

Crowpaw let out a sigh before looking up at her "Of course I am appreciative of that, it just scares me, I don't want to lose you.". A ,moment of silence passed between them before feathertail changed the subject "so... the water is really pretty here isn't it"

Crowpaw flicked his ear in amusement "I was unaware water could look different"

Feathertail let out a purr "well in my humble opinion the water in riverclan looks a lot more pretty than the mash in shadowclan"

Crowpaw laughed "yes.. I suppose that's true"

They both gazed downstream reminiscing of memories of the old territories

"Do, do you think we will get back in time?"

Crowpaw's question caught her off guard, was he having the same doubts as her?

"Well we are only about a day off, and the clans are strong, besides Twolegs can only move so quickly.."

Crowpaw nodded, seemingly deep in thought. He blinked "what will happen when we get back?"

Feathertail frowned "well I would assume we all go and try to find a new territory-"

Crowpaw shook his head "No feathertail I mean what will we do when we get back?"

"What do you mean?"

Crowpaw hesitated "Feathertail I meant what I said! I don't want to go back, I don't want to live without you, gatherings wouldn't be enough, feathertail I want to be with you"

Feathertail's thoughts race, she hadn't thought of this yet. It had never seemed like a problem to her. She wasn't too attached to riverclan, even if Leopardstar had tried to repent for her actions.

"I need to be with riverclan when I get back, starclan chose me to deliver the message to them. But we will be together during the journey to our new territory though! And when we get there, well we can figure out what clan we will choose after that"

Crowpaw blinked hopefully "we?"

"Of course, Crowpaw, I may be a half Riverclan but if there is one thing I learned is loyalty to clanmates only runs so deep... Crowpaw I love you, of course, I would come with you"

"Feathertail!"'

Brambleclaws low voice caught her off as he emerged from the bush. Had he been spying on us? No matter Brambleclaw was their friend, and even if he disapproved feathertail was sure he wouldn't try to stop them.

"Yes, brambleclaw?"

"Stormfur wants you back at camp so we can get moving" his tone was brisk if not a bit sharp. Maybe he would try to stop them.

"And who put you in charge" Crowpaw had retreated back into his prickly shield. Obviously off-put by brambleclaws demeanor. "Are we really going to do this? I think you both have caused enough trouble these past few days, don't you?"

Feathertail's fur began to spike, why was brambleclaw being so horrible? But she didn't argue, he was right she was in no position to be obstinate so both Crowpaw and feathertail obliged. And she hoped the others wouldn't be so cold.

This was definitely one of the most indulgent chapters for me, I hope you all enjoy it.