The Sword in the Stone

Many things had happened since the incident with Lamia. Lancelot came back only for you, Merlin, and Gaius to discover that he wasn't actually alive but before any of you could act, he had been caught having an affair with Gwen. Arthur banished her and Lancelot killed himself. A few days later and Elyan was cursed and possessed by a druid boy who had been drowned during an attack that Arthur led on his camp. Arthur convinced the boy to rest. Then Arthur was supposed to court and marry a woman, but he couldn't bring himself to love someone who wasn't Gwen.

Tonight was the feast of Beltane. You didn't feel like attending since you were exhausted after everything that happened. You were going to go anyway since Gwaine asked you to go with him. You sat next to him, you didn't eat or talk much, everything felt dull without Gwen there. You knew Arthur was in much worse shape than you were. Sometime during the feast, it had been brought to the attention of the king and the knights that the lower town was on fire. The knights rushed to put the fire out. Soon the warning bells went off and you grew anxious. Gwaine came in. "Sire! We're under attack! They're within the city walls!" Gwaine informed Arthur.

"Merlin! Get everyone to the inner chamber!" Arthur ordered him. Merlin began leading people there, you gave Gwaine one more worried look before he fully disappeared from your sight. You helped Merlin and Gaius tend to the wounded.

"The lower town is lost, it's only a matter of time before they reach the citadel." Merlin said.

"How did this happen? How did they get in without being detected?" Gaius wondered.

"It had to have been Agravaine." You said.

"It seems our worst fears have been realized." Gaius sighed. Merlin quickly took off. "Merlin!" Gaius called out to him.

"I have to find Arthur!" Merlin yelled back. You sighed and continued your work, you hoped that Gwaine was okay during all of this.

Merlin returned a while later with a wounded Arthur. Gaius began tending to him while you checked Merlin for injuries. Arthur had broken a few ribs. "I can bind the rib cage, but even that would run the risk of a punctured lung." Gaius told him.

"Do whatever it takes Gaius, so long as I can swing a sword." Arthur responded. Gwaine and Percival came in and barred the doors. As soon as they were done, you tightly hugged Gwaine. He returned your embrace.

"I was so worried about you." You told him.

"I'm alright. I was worried about you too." He said and kissed the top of your head.

"How do we stand?" Gaius asked Percival.

"The citadel is overrun. We can't hold them much longer." Percival informed him.

"How long before they reach us?"

"Minutes at best."

"We can't wait for Arthur. If they find him, they'll kill him." Merlin cut in.

"We must get him to safety while we still can." Percival insisted.

"Arthur would never abandon his people. He'd rather die." Gwaine commented.

"Barricade the doors. Give us as much time as you can." Merlin said. Percival and Gwaine went to the door. Merlin took away Arthur's will with a spell since there was nothing else that could be done due to the lack of supplies. Everyone got ready to leave. Gwaine stopped.

"I'll hold them back as best as I can." He said. You gave him a surprised look. Gaius decided to stay as well.

"I'll only slow you down." He told Merlin. Merlin looked at you.

"I'm not going either." You said. Gwaine and Gaius instantly disagreed. "I'm not leaving the both of you. Those three will be fine without me." You insisted.

"It's too dangerous for you to stay." Gwaine said. Merlin nodded.

"There's no time for argument. So go." You told Merlin and Percival firmly. They reluctantly listened to you. Gwaine continued to beg you to leave. You stayed despite this and the three of you were quickly captured by Morgana and her army. Morgana sent people after Arthur and the others. The three of you were put in a cell together. Gwaine sighed.

"Why didn't you leave?" He asked you.

"I'm not willing to leave you or Gaius behind."

"What if something happens to you?"

"Well what if something happens to you?"

"I can take care of myself."

"So can I." Gwaine sighed at your words. Gaius quietly sat on the sidelines and watched the two of you bicker.

Hours late, Elyan was thrown into the cell with you three. Gwaine quickly caught him. "What have they done to him?" Gwaine worriedly asked.

"This is the work of the Nathair serpent. He's been tortured to the limit of human endurance." Gaius answered him.

"Can you help him?"

"We'll do what we can." Gaius said. The two of you helped Elyan the best to your abilities, it was difficult considering the lack of proper supplies and equipment.

It felt like days had gone by, but in reality it was probably only a day. Elyan was recovering a bit. None of you had eaten since the feast and you hadn't eaten much so you were pretty hungry. You hoped Merlin and Arthur were alright. Morgana came to your cell with a few of her people. "Come to gloat have you?" Gaius asked her. You glared at her and stepped closer to Gwaine, afraid that she'd hurt him.

"Is that any way to treat an old friend? I'll forgive you since you don't look your best." Morgana mocked him. She gave you a glare of her own.

"Can't you see he's starving? We all are." Gwaine snapped at her. You tensed a bit, not knowing how Morgana would react.

"Of course you are. You killed so many of my men. I'll have the kitchen prepare you a feast." Morgana scoffed. Gwaine moved closer to the bars. You tried to stop him.

"I think not of myself, but of them. They can't survive long without food." Gwaine said.

"Aw, Gwaine, so handsome, so selfless. Of course you shall have some supper...as long as you're prepared to sing for it." Morgana said. Her guards began to open your cell. You tightly grabbed Gwaine's hand and looked worried. "Oh, don't you have faith in his abilities?" Morgana taunted you with a cruel smile.

"Leave him alone. Get away from us." You replied. The guards came in and began to drag Gwaine out.

"He'll be fine. If he's really determined enough to bring you food that is." Morgana said and led her group with Gwaine away. You paced the cell anxiously.

"He'll be okay. Gwaine's strong." Elyan assured you. You sighed and sat down as you waited for Gwaine to return.

Gwaine was eventually brought back, though there was only a little bit. Gaius had grown weak and sick from hunger. You and Elyan tended to him, you also tended to whatever injury Gwaine came back with. "Come on Gaius, hold fast." Elyan murmured to him. You sighed and sat next to Gwaine.

"I wish you wouldn't fight...but I'm glad you're able to get some food for Gaius." You quietly said. Gwaine nodded and gave you a small smile. Before he could say anything, guards came and escorted him out. You and Elyan watched with worry. You and Elyan spoke for a while. Gaius quietly rested.

This continued for a week. You would tend to whatever injury Gwaine would get. Gaius would eat a little, but he'd mostly give his food to Gwaine so he could keep fighting for you and Elyan. The four of you were in the cell, Gwaine was resting, when you heard the sounds of people approaching. Gwaine and Elyan went to the bars while you stayed by Gaius. Percival and Leon arrived. Percival opened your cell, he made sure you were okay, before him and Elyan helped Gaius get out. Leon helped support Gwaine, you did as well. You hung back and tended to injured people, the knights fought off Morgana's soldiers.

Eventually the war was one and Morgana fled. Arthur lifted Gwen's banishment and the two got married, making Gwen the queen of Camelot, you hoped the newfound peace would last for a while.

So sorry about how late this was and how rushed the end was, I didn't want you guys to wait that long. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.